Janet Collins The First African-American Prima Ballerina At 100, A Special Celebration
Join a special 100th birthday celebration of Janet Collins, the first African-American prima ballerina on Thursday, March 2, 2017, 6:00–8:00 p.m at Rizzoli Bookstore.
She soared over the color line at the Metropolitan Opera in 1951, making international headlines from Harlem to Harare.
Their distinguished dance panel includes:
- Carmen de Lavallade, noted performer and Collins’s first cousin
- George Faison, choreographer of the original production of The Wiz
- Raven Wilkinson, the first African-American ballerina at the Ballet Russe
- Gary Chryst, Joffrey Ballet alumnus
- Ernesta Corvino, international teacher and ballet master
- Moderator: Yaël Tamar Lewin, author of Night’s Dancer: The Life of Janet Collins
Get more info HERE
Rizzoli Bookstore, 1133 Broadway at 26th Street, New York, New York (directions: 6, R, W, F, and M trains), 212.759.2424