20 RECURRING LESSONS FROM 2017
This time last year I had been lucky to have made it home just a couple of hours before daylight, drenched in shock and some minor aches around my chest and waist region. I had been in an accident just barely an hour into the new year 2017. I felt fortunate and at the same time unlucky.
I felt unlucky for I was so close to home when it all happened. I felt fortunate because it could have been far worse...who knows, I may not have made it to this day to be thinking these thoughts and writing these words.
But I made it somehow...and my most significant loss on that fateful morning were my tears, for they flowed profusely and drained me completely as I drowned in the flashes of how brittle life could be, making everything that erstwhile seemed all important suddenly have no real significance.
I dare say those moments set the pace for my 2017. They trimmed my expectations so early in the year as I let that singular experience cut my dreams short. And so came 2017, and so it went.
In retrospect, I take it to have been a year of multiple experiences laden with invaluable life lessons. These lessons I hope to never forget as life happens. These lessons I wish to share here...
1. Ultimately, YOUR CHOICES will determine the trajectory of your life - so remember why you made them. If your choices change, be reminded why they did.
2. Don’t go where you aren’t wanted, don’t stay when you’re no longer needed.
3. LOOK DOWN ON NO ONE AT ALL, LOOK UP TO NO ONE BUT GOD. Don’t Look Down On Anyone - you aren’t any better than them. Don’t Look Down On Yourself - no one is better than you.
4. COMPETE WITH NO ONE - everyone has their own path to walk. But compete ferociously with yourself - your best version is yet to manifest.
5. BE GOOD TO EVERYONE (without exception) regardless of how they treat you - how you act determines who you are.
6. DREAM ENDLESSLY - nobody dies in their dreams.
7. WORK HARD - there is no substitute for hard work and if it doesn’t kill you, it’ll certainly make you stronger.
8. BE COMFORTABLE IN YOUR OWN SKIN. Your uniqueness is the reason you will stand out. And why should anyone be comfortable with you if you aren’t comfortable with yourself?
9. NEVER BE RIGIDLY OPINIONATED ON ANY SUBJECT UNTIL YOU HAVE FULLY MASTERED IT.
10. OWN YOUR OPINIONS, NEVER BORROW THEM from anyone.
11. BE RIGID ABOUT YOUR VALUES, BUT BE FLEXIBLE ABOUT YOUR REALITIES.
12. Your TIME and your SENSES are your GREATEST ASSETS. Use them judiciously to your advantage or waste them recklessly to your disadvantage.
13. DON’T WORRY ABOUT IMPRESSING OTHERS - it is a futile and wanton endeavor. Create high standards for yourself then seek to impress yourself by reaching them.
14. SET REALISTIC GOALS for yourself and meditate on them daily until they are accomplished.
15. NEVER REST ON YOUR OARS - keep pushing your limits. Success isn’t a destination; it is a path you must continually walk and it’s reward is greatness.
16. HELP OTHERS ACHIEVE THEIR DREAMS AND ASPIRATIONS - the success that you are a part of is a part of you.
17. YOU ARE EVERYTHING YOU BELIEVE YOU ARE, good or bad. Let your thoughts of yourself linger between past successes and future aspirations rather than of what failures you’ve endured in the past and the uncertainties of the future.
18. CAUTION YOURSELF BEFORE ANY ACTION OR UTTERANCE - that last minute review may save or bless you a great deal
19. REFLECT ON YOUR LIFE DAILY. Ensure something in you is better today than it was yesterday.
20. BE THANKFUL everyday and SHOW GRATITUDE to the world for the liberties you are privileged to enjoy.
We needn’t learn strictly from our own experiences. Sometimes its better to learn from the experiences of others — if for nothing else, it will save you time and some grief.
So if someone else learnt a lesson or two here, then I didn’t learn these lessons alone and this post isn’t in vain.
Happy New Year to you and yours! May 2018 afford a fresh start to those who need it, and an enduring streak for those on a roll!!!
Original content from http://wp.me/p2u1Z4-2w