Teenagers in Kashmir silent victims of unrest

Identity card of a teenager killed by police in a protest.

Local militant commander of a guerrilla outfit died in a fierce encounter in Anantnag, south of Kashmir, triggering mass uprising which has already seen killing of more than 80 civilians after government forces used live ammunition.

Burhan Muzaffar Wani was killed when government forces cordoned off the area, where he was suspected to be hiding.

The poster boy of the new generation of rebels in the valley, he had become a household name after he appeared in several videos and photographs on social networking sites.

People reached sharply and came on the road in numbers, as authorities imposed a strict curfew in Kashmir. More than 80 unarmed demonstrators have died so far in the ongoing unrest, the teenagers have been the important victims of unrest, the latest being Momin Altaf Ganai, a resident of Harwan in Srinagar, who was found killed in the area late last night as his body bore injuries caused by pellets.

Earlier a 15-year-old boy was killed by government forces last month killed in clashes in Sopore area, Baramulla district in northern Kashmir.

After the death of teen protestors, when J&K Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti was asked to justify the in the ongoing bloody unrest, she angrily walked out of the press conference she jointly addressed with Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.

People carry the dead body of Momin Altaf Ganai, who was killed by forces in Srinagar.

Had a kid gone to buy a toffee from an army camp? A 15-year-old boy who attacked a police station in Damhal Hanjipora (south Kashmir) had not gone to fetch milk. Don’t compare the two,” she thundered.

More than 50 percent of the victims hit with pellets in eyes during the ongoing unrest in Kashmir are teenagers, doctors at SMHS hospital told a local newspaper.

“All the patients who have injuries to their eye(s) belong to age group of eight to 30 years,” said Professor Sabia Rashid of the Ophthalmology Department.

Prof Rashid said more than 50 percent of all pellet victims were teenagers in the age group of eight to 15 years.

An ATM guard was among the killed in Srinagar after he was shot with a pellet gun from point blank range when he was returning home. Here are the pictures narrating the incident.

The 23-year-old, Riyaz Ahmad Shah, was found lying on a pavement with blood all over his scooter. He was returning after finishing his duty from an ATM in Habba Kadal area of Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir. Shah was on his way home in Chattabal.

One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.