Ultimate Guide to Bali
This is the guide that I’ve prepared for my team that had workation in Bali. You may read more about the project here: “Living with 17 co-workers in Bali, not counting the child”.
I thought the list might be useful for others traveling/living/chilling in Bali.
UBUD and around: places to see and experience
- Campuhan Ridge Walk. Scenic 2 km walk from Blanco Museum to Karsa Cafe.
- Cantika Spa on the way to Cafe Pomegrate — cheap & good.
- Karsa Spa — cheap & good.
- Lotus temple in the middle of the city. You may visit a dance performance there in the evening there or just enjoy the view and have a drink in Lotus Cafe.
- Tegalalang Rice Terrace.
- Traditional Balinese dances in different Ubud temples.
- Luwak coffee degustation at Bali Pulina Agro Tourism or at any other place.
- Blanco Renaissance Museum. Quirky & beautiful museum for art and non art lovers that even Michael Jackson had visited.
- Green School and Green Village. Amazing architecture. They have guided tours that you have to book in advance.
- Elephant Safari Park Lodge — for elephant lovers. You may ride them, may bath and play with them there.
- Bali Zoo.
- White water rafting.
- Massage by the river + swim in the waterfall at Nandini Jungle Resort. Expensive (around 60EUR), but you can’t find the experience nowhere else.
- Monkey forest in the middle of Ubud (yes, it’s all about monkeys)
- Hiking Mount Batur to see the sunset. Hard, but worth it.
UBUD and around: places for food
- Seniman Coffee Ubud — best coffee ever. They have great breakfast and serve good food after 6pm.
- Clear Cafe — good healthy food, wonderful juice cocktails, great view to the temple.
- Karsa Cafe and Spa. Very good & cheap. Wonderful views around Try massages.
- Fair Warung Bale — cheap good food and you support local children’s healthcare.
- Sayan House — our favorite place to eat. They have lunch menu for 10EUR from 12:00 to 15:00.
- Bamboo Indah — incredible bamboo architecture (same architect that built Green School), great view for sunsets, good food.
- Cupit Warung BBQ. Best ribs ever!
- Naughty Nuri’s Warung. Second best place for ribs. Legendary place. Very local experience.
- Café Pomegranate. Good food in the tent in the middle of the rice field. Perfect spot for sunrise.
- Jungle Fish. Huge infinity pool to the jungle view. You may spend the entrance fee to buy food or drinks there.
- Locavore. Only degustation menu. Book in advance. One of the best places in Ubud. Or try cheaper version: Locavore to go. It’s very good option for lunch)
- Luxe. Great food in the rice fields. Nice walk to the place. Very good internet.
- Four Seasons hotel bar. Amazing place for cocktails.
- Kupu at Mandapa. Luxurious restaurant at brand new Ritz Carlton. Available only for dinner. Book in advance and ask for a nest table.
- 5 elements hotel and restaurant. Good place for lunch before a visit to Green School.
SEMINYAK and around: things to do
- Visit Tanah Lot temple situated on the rock. After the visit drive to golf club that is right next to the temple. Ride a golf car to see the place and the best views.
- Watch sunsets.
- Eat & drink (see the recommendations below).
SEMINYAK & CANGGU: places for food and cocktails
- Potato Head Beach Club Seminyak — amazing and loud restaurant on the beach.
- Kudeta Seminyak — nice place for a sunset cocktail.
- La Plancha — relaxed place to see sunsets.
- W Retreat — the most luxurious and stylish place in Seminyak. Best brunch. Happy hour from 4pm to 6pm. Buy one, get one cocktail free.
- Revolver — great coffee and food.
- Koop — tiny coffee shop with very friendly owners. My favuorite place for coffee in Seminyak.
- Susheria — contemporary sushi in the rise fields.
- Nook — restaurant in the middle of rise fields. Feels like Ubud.
- Bootstrap — best cold brew coffee.
- Shelter — great & cheap food, very good Internet, hipster crowd.
- Cafe Organic Bali. Big choice of juices and healthy food.
- Fish Market in Canggu— fresh fish and seafood. Best view. Cheap dining.
- Old Man’s in Canggu — great vibe in the evening. Cool place for cocktails.
- Cantina in Canggu — good place for lunch.
- La Laguna in Canggu is a quirky, cool new venue that will wow most travellers. With a great menu and delicious cocktails.
- Deux ex Maxina. Bar for beer, shop for motorcycle lovers and cool place for surfers.
- Crate Cafe in Canggu — cheap & good food.
ULUWATU: places to visit
- Uluwatu temple — visit before sunset, they have special performance for that, lots of monkeys and awesome view.
- Bingin beach where you can find affordable accommodation in bungalows with million dollar view. Everyone gets a view.
- Nyang-nyang Beach. “500 steps worth the view and experience”
- Green Bowl beach.
- Gunung Payung beach.
- Blue Point beach below Single Fin bar.
- Pandawa beach.
- Abandoned plane near Pandawa beach.
- Spa at La Joya II Biu-Biu. Affordable prices and view to the sea.
ULUWATU: places for food & cocktails
- Alila Uluwatu — the most amazing hotel and view you have ever seen. It’s way too expensive to spend a night there, but lunch or dinner will be an unforgettable experience.
- Single Fin. Cheap bar with million dollar view.
- La Joya II Biu-Biu — the best place we stayed at. 80EUR for a room for 4 people. Infinity pool. 15 min massage included in the price.
- Finnn’s Beach Club Uluwatu — great private beach and atmosphere, good food. Plan one relaxing day on the beach
- El Kabron restaurant and beach club. Relax in Mediterranean atmosphere and awesome view.
- Rock bar. Very trendy bar literally on the rock at the sea. Expect to wait to get into the bar.
- Afternoon tea in Orchid tea lounge at Rimba.
Other places worth visiting around Bali
- Gili Islands. Diving, snorkeling, white sand beaches, magic mushrooms, no roads, Balinese turtles, easy life. A paradise. The most parties are at Gili Trawangan island (My favourite places were Vintage bar for sunsets, La Pirate Beach Club for cocktails and food at Wilson’s Retreat). Gili Air is mix between fun and relax. Gili Meno is considered to be honeymoon destination.
- Menjangan Island — best place to snorkel or dive.
- Nusa Lembongan. Close to Bali. Great places to dive or snorkel. Still not very touristic. No cars. You should drive a motorbike to explore the island. It might be one day trip or you may stay rent a bungalow. It was my favourite experience in Bali this year.
Have been in Bali? Share your favourite spots.