Part 2 (Mental Health): How do we, as an IT team, keep ourselves in good shape
What is the secret of centenarians? They take care not only of physical, but also of mental health, adopting important attitudes for a healthy lifestyle.
Let’s consider the main points.
1. Let’s start with the most important rule, which we have made the leitmotif of our articles: never put things off for later.
I knew one 70-year-old Jimmy, who was always looking for excuses not to take care of his health. His knees hurt. But… he didn’t want to do anything with them, although nothing prevented him from seeing a doctor. Although in fact the problem was not that he did not want to see a doctor, but that he did not do other exercises that would not affect his knees.
Eventually Jimmy realized that the pain would lead him to never start exercising. Pain can happen often, but to transfer responsibility for each pain point for him was like an excuse for his laziness.
This approach to life can lead to even more stress.
Well, what happened to Jimmy, we will tell you at the end of the letter. And we will continue to list the tips of centenarians.
2. Have a positive attitude
Motivation and the need to do everything here and now, of course, is good, but you also need to be able to enjoy what you are doing.
In the first post, we talked about how important it is to choose the physical exercises that you like. For example, the artist Trudy remains an innovative artist even at the age of 100. Her life credo and the reason for longevity, as she herself says, is the right attitude to life. The way we perceive it.
3. Exercise and diet — we talked about exercises in the last post and we’ll talk about diet next time.
In general, despite the fact that not all centenarians performed them, physical well-being always affects mental.
4. Learning complex skills
You may have heard that speaking multiple languages slows down cognitive decline and reduces the risk of developing dementia.
In general, skills that challenge you and take you out of your comfort zone are the most useful for your brain. Examples include learning foreign languages, musical instruments, programming, drawing, sculpture, and choreography.
5. Social environment
Who you surround yourself with will affect your mental state. Centenarians note that they are pleased to see their younger generations growing up. This point is very important in the context of the following.
6. Active lifestyle and tourism
If everything is clear with travel, then we will reveal the topic of an active lifestyle in more detail. A positive mood, the absence of boredom and, as a result, longevity appear in the case of saturation of life.
In general, the problem of entertainment and leisure is difficult for a person of absolutely any age, because there are always a limited number of ways to spend time.
People who are engaged in volunteering or hobbies say they feel happier and healthier. Learning new skills can also improve your thinking abilities.
Therefore, remember absolutely all your interests, hobbies and hobbies. Think about whether they will be enough for the next month, quarter and year? If not, then write down a list of books / movies / other things that you wanted to get acquainted with and try to distribute them competently with other entertainment. Then combine your initiatives with your social environment to accomplish point 5.
For those interested, we have made tips on exercises.
What can be done about it?
1. Write down all your cases that you once postponed for later. Think about whether you should start making them right now. If it’s not worth it, then it’s a sign that it’s worth getting rid of this task. Why? Because the first rule of mental health is not to look for reasons to postpone things for the future, if they can be done now.
2. Try not to be serious and allow yourself to be a child for a bit. That’s why childhood is interesting, because there we are as curious as possible and learn more new things. Try to adopt this behavior model for yourself and follow step 3.
3. Write down all your hobbies and involve your family and friends in them. Try to please yourself and your loved ones at least 2 times a week. Think about whether you have enough entertainment for a month / quarter / day. If there is not enough, then think about what else you can add. Maybe you’ve been wanting to study something for a long time? Now is the time for that.
By the way, about Jimmy, whom we mentioned in our story. He still went to the doctor and found the strength to exercise and not put it off for later. Therefore, even if the elderly Jimmy found the strength, then you, being young, do not look for excuses.
Article was written by Nozomi Health