Underage Fees for Car Rental in Foreign Countries — 2016 Edition
So I rent a lot of cars in a lot of countries. I was also born in 1993, meaning I spend a lot of time trying to weasel out of underage fees. Below are some charts for how much various companies charge in different countries.
Spain (Alicante, 2016)
- Budget: At this location the minimum age is 21 for all car groups. Maximum age is none. A Young Driver fee will apply to drivers between the ages of 21 and 25. The Young Driver fee of 21.00 EUR per day per driver, with a maximum 209.63 EUR per rental per driver.
- Hertz: Can be rented from 21 years old with a young driver surcharge of €23.96(including tax) per day, with a maximum surcharge of €239.58 (including tax) per rental.
- Dollar (serviced by Hertz in ALC): Customer must be 19 years of age or older and have a valid driver’s license and credit card in their own name. Driver’s license must have been held a minimum of 1 year. Renters 19–24 years of age are subject to a EUR19.80 per day fee, maximum EUR198.00.
- Enterprise: A young driver fee of 7.85 EUR plus VAT per day with a maximum fee of 78.50 EUR plus vat per rental will be applicable to drivers between 21 to 24 years of age.
- Thrify: Customer must be 19 years of age or older and have a valid driver’s license and credit card in their own name. Driver’s license must have been held a minimum of 1 year. Renters 19–24 years of age are subject to a EUR19.80 per day fee, maximum EUR198.00.
- Sixt: A Young Driver Surcharge of EUR 14,99 per 1 day, EUR 99,99 per 7 days, max. EUR 199.99 applies for drivers under 23 years. (Source)
- Avis: If you or any of your drivers are under 25 when you pick up the vehicle, you will each have to pay a young driver surcharge. The cost for this will depend on where you’re picking the vehicle up from but you can expect it to be between 20.95 Euro and 25.00 Euro, per day, for each driver. If you rent the vehicle for more than 10 days, you’ll only be charged for a maximum of 10 days and get cover for the duration of your rental, up to 28 days.
- Alamo: 10EUR Daily.
- Goldcar: Drivers under the age of 25 or who have held a driving license between 1 and 4 years, will pay an additional charge: Groups: N / T / V / VV / LL — 25.00€/day with a minimum of 75.00€ and without a maximum, Other groups: 8.00€/day with a maximum of 96.00€
- VictoriaCars: 12,10 €/day, 22–23 Years Old, no max