Tier 1 Exceptional Talent is for internationally recognised and leaders in the arts or sciences. If you have demonstrated that you are progressive in the field of arts and science and are likely to become a leader in your field, you may qualify. You must be recognised at the highest level and this must be authenticated by a designated body.
1. The UKBA/Home Office will issue you with a Unique Reference Number including the appropriate Designated Competent Body required to endorse you. They will issue this Reference Number only if the 1000 yearly places the category is restricted to have not been filled. There are usually more than sufficient spaces to apply in this specialised route.
2. Within 10 working days of receiving your Unique Reference Number, you will need to submit your application together with supporting evidence. If submitted after 10 working days (which excludes national holidays in your home country), you will be refused.
3. Once submitted in time, the UKBA/Home Office will contact your designated professional body to ascertain whether you receive endorsement from them.
4. The UKBA/Home Office will then inform you of their decision and either grant a visa of 3 years and 4 months or refuse you with the right to an Administrative Review.
Can I switch to this Category inside the UK
You are able to switch to the Tier 1 Exceptional Talent category from inside the UK if you hold one of the following visas;
- Tier 2
- Tier 5 (Temporary Worker)
We recommend that you speak with immigration solicitors for further details.
Benefits of this Category
Unlike most of the Points Based System categories, you do not need to be sponsored by a specific employer to make an application. Moreover, most of the 75 points are derived from the endorsement of your Designated Body.
Tier 1 Exceptional talent extension
Much of the requirements remain the same as with your initial application. If refused however, you will be given the right to appeal before an Immigration Judge at the First Tier Tribunal. This appeal will need to be submitted within 10 working days of service of the refusal and will usually be listed for an appeal hearing within approximately 1 month. This time varies depending on the availability of the court local to you.
If your extension is successful, you will be granted a further 2 years to remain in the UK which will provide you with the 5 years needed to apply for indefinite leave to remain.
The requirements in the Points Based System frequently change and so we advise that you contact us for a detail conversation about the requirements.
Tier 1 Exceptional talent and Indefinite Leave to Remain
(a) You must not fall under the general grounds for refusal, which include the requirement of good character.
(b) You must not be an illegal entrant. Invariably, if you have been granted a Tier 1 Exceptional Talent visa, this will not usually be applicable to you.
© You must have had an Exceptional talent visa for a continuous period of 5 years, so have remained legally in the UK for the entire period.
(d) You must achieve 75 points in the same way as required for each application and extension made in this category previously. Please see Tier 1 Exceptional talent for a detailed commentary of these requirements.
(e) You must have sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom, unless under the age of 18 or aged 65.
(f) You must be economically active in your expert field as previously endorsed in employment or self-employment or both.
How we can help
In order to assess your eligibility, Reiss Edwards has a team of dedicated immigration solicitors. For a free assessment, please call us on 02037442797 or complete the case evaluation form so that one of our advisors can call you back within 30 minutes. If you your enquiry is urgent, please send an email to email@example.com marked urgent.
There are a number of services that we can offer to assist in your move to the UK. This includes our property services through to arranging flights. If you have any questions regarding any of our services, please contact us on 02037442797 or leave your details for us to contact you directly by clicking here.
We are different
We appreciate the need to keep you fully informed about what is required for both your initial application and your extension. Once we have successfully secured your visa, we will ensure that you have a detailed note of what the requirements are to extend your visa. We advise those interested in keeping up-to-date with the rule changes, to sign up to our blog.