Vox Populi Vox Dei

We woke up to another surprise in modern politics. Teresa May has lost the Conservative majority in the Parliament and might lose her job.

Everyone has already started to analyze what it means in terms of Brexit. Hard Brexit is out of the window, soft Brexit is likely. Maybe even no Brexit?

We will see but what it showed with clarity is that the country doesn’t really care about Brexit or no Brexit. A year ago 51.9% voted for leaving the EU, 48.1% voted for staying. This was proclaimed as vox populi and we were told that people proclaimed their will for independence from the EU restrictions and migration.

However, now people voted in such a way that the Conservative party that was behind Brexit and hoped to ride on its wave to more power lost its slim majority in the Parliament, lost its dominance in government and seemingly lost its mandate for the hard Brexit.

So what is the will of people? What do they really want? Hard Brexit or soft Brexit? No Brexit?

What the referendum vote a year ago and the yesterday general election vote both showed was that the only thing that people up and down the country cared about is NHS. They voted for Brexit because they were (falsely) promised that the £350 million weekly payments into the EU coffers would go into funding the NHS. Now they voted in support of Labour because this party’s manifesto promised more detailed NHS program that addressed real needs (end waiting lists, make appointments available within 18 weeks, significant funding increase funded by taxes on the wealthiest, etc etc. (Here is an informative comparison of the NHS plans laid out in three parties’ manifestos).

So in the end, people do not want to leave the EU. In fact, they could care less about the EU. The only thing they really want is to be able to get a dentist appointment when they have a tooth ache, and not to have to wait for 6 months. They want to have their local NHS surgery operating, and not closing down due to austerity cuts. And they don’t mind if it’s all is funded by the country’s wealthiest, in other words, migrants are no longer the ones to blame for the NHS long queues.

Hopefully politicians are finally taking notice about the real issues their constituencies are facing. Just because these NHS promises were in the Labour manifesto, it does not yet mean that they will be implemented as Labour still holds only 261 seats vs the Tories’ 318. The new Parliament and the resulting government along with whoever takes the PM hat will have to stop playing for their political gains and for the pleasure of their funding masters and start addressing the real will of people: better healthcare, better social services and more opportunities. Although it is hard to see how exiting the EU along with the ensuing economic turmoil will help achieve this goal.