Scotland’s MSPs 1: Gender
This analysis was prompted by International Women’s Day (#IWD2017) which was held last week on 8th March.
Lists of MSPs for current and previous sessions of the Scottish Parliament are available from the Scottish Parliament website:
Provides historical information about MSPs, including a full list of MSPs from 1999.www.parliament.scot
The constituency boundaries are available as part of the OS Boundary Line dataset which can be freely downloaded here:
Supporting and enabling businesses, government, communities and individuals to benefit from the use of Geographic…www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk
Female MSPs were queried and displayed in green for each session and all 5 session outputs were animated.
- Is there any correlation between gender and political party?
- How does this compare to other countries?
- All three current major party leaders in Scotland are female — will this influence future representation?
- This focuses on the winning candidates — what about the gender balance of all candidates standing for election?
- What about other indicators of diversity?