Stylebook Exercises 3.14 and 3.15


The Bay City Bluebirds rallied from a three run deficit Monday night to defeat the Carmel Cardinals 6–3 and win the Western Tri-State Division Championship.

The Bluebirds are now assured a place in the Tri-State Playoffs which begin next week. Their opponent will be determined Wednesday night in a game between the Santa Ana Generals and the Redwood Knights.

The Cardinals led the Bluebirds most of the game, and they had a 3–0 lead in the eighth inning.

In the Bluebird half of the eighth, Tim Store, the first baseman, walked and stole second. Left fielder Biff Carbosi was walked intentionally, and both runners moved up a base on a wild pitch by Cardinal starter Ronnie Miller. Miller was then relieved by Chuck Nelson.

Bluebird second baseman Carbo Garbey lined Nelson’s first pitch into deep centerfield, scoring both baserunners. Two pitches later, Garbey stole home to tie the game.

Nelson got the next two hitters out, but then Carey Clark, the Bluebird catcher, scored a home run to put the Bluebirds ahead. The Bluebirds added two more runs in the ninth to ensure their victory.


A jury found a Midville man guilty of second-degree manslaughter after an hour’s worth of deliberations on Tuesday.

Johnny Gene Garber was convinced at the end of a three-day trial which featured his mother testifying against him. He was charged with the death of a 39-year-old brick mason, Gardner Jackson, of 12 9th St. in Jonesville.

Mr. Garber stood silently as the jury read the verdict. The presiding judge, Jonas T. McMillan, set a sentencing hearing for Monday at 8 a.m.

Garber was charged with being drunk while driving down Highway 69 in March. His car swerved out of control and ran head-on into a car driven by Mr. Jackson, who had been attending services at Midville Baptist Church.

During the trial, the prosecution attorney, Able Sasson, called Garber’s mother, Mrs. Minnie Lee Garber, to testify that her son had been drinking heavily at their home Saturday evening before the accident occurred.

Garber could receive a sentence of 2–5 years in prison for the crime he committed.