Varicose Veins: Here’s How You Can Cure Them Naturally
Did you know that even though you can be super fit and maintain a healthy lifestyle, you can still have varicose veins? Not only this, did you know that this condition may occur in any part of your body, but mostly strikes in the lower extremities? Varicose veins, also known as varicosities, occur when your veins get dilated, enlarged, or are overfilled with blood. They are mostly of a bluish-purplish-reddish hue, and can often appear swollen or raised.
So, what exactly causes varicose veins?
Varicose veins mainly happen when your veins aren’t functioning properly. Our veins only have one-way valves, and they do not let blood flow backwards. When these valves fail, blood begins to gather in the veins, instead of going towards your heart. They mostly accumulate on the legs, because of gravity, and hence go further away from the heart.
Apart from this, smoking, obesity, and even sitting and standing for long periods of time can lead to this condition. You can also get it if you suffer from chronic heart valve conditions, are pregnant, or are going through menopause. Its symptoms might range from pain in the feet, to swelling of the ankles, skin ulceration, and heavy bleeding, in case of vein injury.
Varicose veins’ natural treatment options:
- Drink your daily dose of water — Drinking 7–8 glasses of water in a day helps in softening your stool, and aids in smooth bowel movement. Hence, there is less strain on the veins of your leg. This also helps in preventing haemorrhoids, along with flushing out toxins from the body, and helping you lose weight.
- Soothe those muscles with a massage — Exacerbated varicose veins leads to pooling of blood in the veins, which leads to lax walls inside the veins to expand and twist from their original shape. Getting periodic massages with gentle upward strokes can not only help in increasing blood circulation, but can also help in smoothening out the twisted veins. Make sure that the therapist does not massage directly on the bulging vein, but around the veins, with olive or coconut oil.
- Be friends with compression stockings — A pair of compression socks or stockings, when worn in office, while driving, or while simply lounging in front of TV at home, can help you in getting rid of varicose veins. However, before buying one, do not forget to check the compression level or the length of your stockings, and also make sure you consult with your doctor before buying one, as you wouldn’t want to use them in case you suffer from arterial disease.
- Use an apple cider vinegar remedy — A wonderfully effective treatment for varicose veins, apple cider vinegar is a natural body cleansing product, which can be both applied and consumed in moderate quantities. Apply undiluted apple cider vinegar over the varicose veins and gently massage the area right before going to bed. You can also consume two teaspoons mixed with a glass of water, twice a day, to see positive results in terms of reduced size of the varicose veins.
- Consume an anti-inflammatory diet — Ditch foods that are high in trans fats, caffeine, alcohol, sugar, and processed foods, as they can contribute liberally to hormonal imbalances, blood pressure problems, and weight gain. Instead, consume at least 30–40 grams of high-fibre foods daily, such as foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, fresh fruits, vegetables, and sprouted or soaked legumes. High-antioxidant foods, and foods that are packed with flavonoids, and vitamins C and E, are great natural blood thinners that also prevent blood clotting.
You can also lie down on the bed while keeping your feet in an elevated position, or use a fuller’s earth mud pack to help reduce vein enlargement. Which out of these remedies for varicose veins worked for you? Do let us know!
healthhunt is Asia’s first fully-integrated content led marketplace for all things Health & Wellness, that brings together short, punchy & actionable content, with verified and linked products and services. Join the wellness revolution today.