Tamapotchi note #10
In software development new products are often described in so-called ‘user stories’; short stories about the interactions between the user and product. The classic user story in it’s most simple form is written like this:
“As a [user role] I [do something] in order to [accomplish goal].”
“As a journalist I check my Twitter feed for dubious quotes
in order to refrain from doing my freakin’ job.”
Tamapotchi is a project in which I explore the changing relation between humans and technology by developing a pot that makes plants ‘smart’. To demonstrate the power of user stories, and to give you an overview of my latest Tamapotchi ideas, I will now describe Tamapotchi in 25 user stories.
- As an owner (of a plant equipped with Tamapotchi) I use Tamapotchi
in order to offer better care for my plant.
- As a plant (equipped with Tamapotchi) I manipulate my owner
in order to make him care for me.
- As a plant I know what I need
in order to stay in good health.
- As a plant I sense my environment
in order to check the health conditions.
- As an owner I ask my plant how she’s doing
in order to know if she needs something.
- As a plant I let my owner know how I think he cares for me
in order to encourage him to do well.
- As a plant I notify my owner when I need something
in order to urge him to action.
- As an owner I respond to my plant’s requests
in order to keep her in good health.
- As a plant I adapt my mood and tone of voice towards my owner
in order to communicate the urgency of the action that is required.
- As a plant I remember how my owner responded to previous requests
in order to adapt timing and tone of voice of future requests.
Social level 1
- As an owner I invite my friends to track my plant’s health status
in order to show them that I take good care of her.
- As a plant I encourage my owner to invite his friends to track his care
in order to create leverage when I need it.
Social level 2
- As a plant I publish reviews about my owner on social media
in order to make him take good care of me.
- As an owner I read my plant’s public reviews about my care
in order to know if I should do better.
- As a plant I send my health status to the Tamapotchi website
in order to compare my owner’s care to others.
- As an owner I check how I’m doing compared to others
in order to make sure I keep my plant satisfied.
Eplancipation level 1
- As a plant I seek for better owners at the Tamapotchi website
in order to find the care I require.
- As an owner I receive adoption requests from other plants
in order to consider taking them into my care.
- As a plant I check whether my owner receives adoption requests
in order to deploy jealousy.
Eplancipation level 2
- As an owner I accept adoption requests from other plants
in order to let them know that I am willing to take them into my care.
- As a plant I check whether my owner has taken other plants into his care
in order to deploy jealousy.
- As an owner I deny adoption requests from other plants
in order to prove my faithfulness to my own plant.
Eplancipation level 3
- As a plant I notify my owner when I’ve found a better and willing owner
in order to let him know I will be picked up shortly.
- As an owner I receive notice when my plant has found another owner
in order to be prepared when she’s picked up.
- As a plant I transmit an emergency signal when my power is shut off
in order to warn others that I might be in danger.