Day 18: Essential CTF Tools
We are about to kick off the 2019 CTF season with the awesome
Insomni’hack Teaser 2019, I can’t wait to play, are you joining? No matter your level, I suggest giving it a go, if you get stuck read the write-ups which are great because you always learn more when you had a go and invested personally.
Capture The Flag, CTF teams, CTF ratings, CTF archive, CTF writeupsctftime.org
Team size is not restricted for the teaser, but only 8 participants per team will be allowed at the main CTF event. We…teaser.insomnihack.ch
In anticipation of the event, here is a list of essential tools taken from a great CTF repository that lists not only solve tools but also tools to create CTFs.
Tools used for performing various kinds of attacks
- Bettercap — Framework to perform MITM (Man in the Middle) attacks.
- Layer 2 attacks — Attack various protocols on layer 2
Tools used for solving Crypto challenges
- FeatherDuster — An automated, modular cryptanalysis tool
- Hash Extender — A utility tool for performing hash length extension attacks
- PkCrack — A tool for Breaking PkZip-encryption
- RSACTFTool — A tool for recovering RSA private key with various attack
- RSATool — Generate private key with knowledge of p and q
- XORTool — A tool to analyze multi-byte xor cipher
Tools used for various kind of bruteforcing (passwords etc.)
- Hashcat — Password Cracker
- John The Jumbo — Community enhanced version of John the Ripper
- John The Ripper — Password Cracker
- Nozzlr — Nozzlr is a bruteforce framework, trully modular and script-friendly.
- Ophcrack — Windows password cracker based on rainbow tables.
- Patator — Patator is a multi-purpose brute-forcer, with a modular design.
Tools used for solving Exploits challenges
- DLLInjector — Inject dlls in processes
- libformatstr — Simplify format string exploitation.
- Metasploit — Penetration testing software
- one_gadget — A tool to find the one gadget
- Pwntools — CTF Framework for writing exploits
- Qira — QEMU Interactive Runtime Analyser
- ROP Gadget — Framework for ROP exploitation
- V0lt — Security CTF Toolkit
Tools used for solving Forensics challenges
- Aircrack-Ng — Crack 802.11 WEP and WPA-PSK keys
- Audacity — Analyze sound files (mp3, m4a, whatever)
- Bkhive and Samdump2 — Dump SYSTEM and SAM files
- CFF Explorer — PE Editor
- Creddump — Dump windows credentials
- DVCS Ripper — Rips web accessible (distributed) version control systems
- Exif Tool — Read, write and edit file metadata
- Extundelete — Used for recovering lost data from mountable images
- Fibratus — Tool for exploration and tracing of the Windows kernel
- Foremost — Extract particular kind of files using headers
- Fsck.ext4 — Used to fix corrupt filesystems
- Malzilla — Malware hunting tool
- NetworkMiner — Network Forensic Analysis Tool
- PDF Streams Inflater — Find and extract zlib files compressed in PDF files
- ResourcesExtract — Extract various filetypes from exes
- Shellbags — Investigate NT_USER.dat files
- UsbForensics — Contains many tools for usb forensics
- Volatility — To investigate memory dumps
Tools used for solving Networking challenges
- Bro — An open-source network security monitor.
- Masscan — Mass IP port scanner, TCP port scanner.
- Monit — A linux tool to check a host on the network (and other non-network activities).
- Nipe — Nipe is a script to make Tor Network your default gateway.
- Nmap — An open source utility for network discovery and security auditing.
- Wireshark — Analyze the network dumps.
- Zmap — An open-source network scanner.
Tools used for solving Reversing challenges
- Androguard — Reverse engineer Android applications
- Angr — platform-agnostic binary analysis framework
- Apk2Gold — Yet another Android decompiler
- ApkTool — Android Decompiler
- Barf — Binary Analysis and Reverse engineering Framework
- Binary Ninja — Binary analysis framework
- BinUtils — Collection of binary tools
- BinWalk — Analyze, reverse engineer, and extract firmware images.
- Boomerang — Decompile x86 binaries to C
- ctf_import — run basic functions from stripped binaries cross platform
- Frida — Dynamic Code Injection
- GDB — The GNU project debugger
- GEF — GDB plugin
- Hopper — Reverse engineering tool (disassembler) for OSX and Linux
- IDA Pro — Most used Reversing software
- Jadx — Decompile Android files
- Java Decompilers — An online decompiler for Java and Android APKs
- Krakatau — Java decompiler and disassembler
- Objection — Runtime Mobile Exploration
- PEDA — GDB plugin (only python2.7)
- Pin A dynamic binary instrumentaion tool by Intel
- Plasma — An interactive disassembler for x86/ARM/MIPS which can generate indented pseudo-code with colored syntax.
- Pwndbg — A GDB plugin that provides a suite of utilities to hack around GDB easily.
- radare2 — A portable reversing framework
- Triton — Dynamic Binary Analysis (DBA) framework
- Uncompyle — Decompile Python 2.7 binaries (.pyc)
- WinDbg — Windows debugger distributed by Microsoft
- Xocopy — Program that can copy executables with execute, but no read permission
- Z3 — a theorem prover from Microsoft Research
- RABCDAsm — Collection of utilities including an ActionScript 3 assembler/disassembler.
- Swftools — Collection of utilities to work with SWF files
- Xxxswf — A Python script for analyzing Flash files.
Various kind of useful services available around the internet
- CSWSH — Cross-Site WebSocket Hijacking Tester
- Request Bin — Lets you inspect http requests to a particular url
Tools used for solving Steganography challenges
- Convert — Convert images b/w formats and apply filters
- Exif — Shows EXIF information in JPEG files
- Exiftool — Read and write meta information in files
- Exiv2 — Image metadata manipulation tool
- ImageMagick — Tool for manipulating images
- Outguess — Universal steganographic tool
- Pngtools — For various analysis related to PNGs
- SmartDeblur — Used to deblur and fix defocused images
- Steganabara — Tool for stegano analysis written in Java
- Stegbreak — Launches brute-force dictionary attacks on JPG image
- StegCracker — Steganography brute-force utility to uncover hidden data inside files
- stegextract — Detect hidden files and text in images
- Steghide — Hide data in various kind of images
- Stegsolve — Apply various steganography techniques to images
- Zsteg — PNG/BMP analysis
Tools used for solving Web challenges
- BurpSuite — A graphical tool to testing website security.
- Commix — Automated All-in-One OS Command Injection and Exploitation Tool.
- Hackbar — Firefox addon for easy web exploitation
- OWASP ZAP — Intercepting proxy to replay, debug, and fuzz HTTP requests and responses
- Postman — Add on for chrome for debugging network requests
- Raccoon — A high performance offensive security tool for reconnaissance and vulnerability scanning
- SQLMap — Automatic SQL injection and database takeover tooli
- W3af — Web Application Attack and Audit Framework.
- XSSer — Automated XSS testor