Career Opportunities with an Interior Designing Course
Picture this … you have recently purchased an apartment in an upmarket locality and you wish to adorn the space with chic interiors. Whom would you contact for this job? Will it be an interior decorator or an interior architect and designer? Confused? Allow me the honour of clearing your confusion!
For the uninitiated, the lines of differentiation between the profiles of an interior decorator and interior architect and designer may seem rather blurred. But that is far from ground reality!
An interior decorator styles the indoors with crisp furniture, well-appointed furnishings and above all artistic design that complements the end-user’s functional and aesthetic needs. On the other hand, the multi-faceted profession of interior architecture and design combines the knowledge of architectural concepts, design principles, technology and styling. This field also requires the designer to have a sound understanding of construction, plumbing, HVAC and adaptive reuse techniques.
There are many institutes that offer undergraduate and postgraduate interior architecture and interior design courses in Delhi and across India. Upon completion of an undergraduate course in the discipline, there are a plethora of career opportunities in interior design, that one can choose from. You can work in small or large interior design firms (studios), architectural offices, furniture retailers, office furnishing dealers or can even venture out independently as a freelancer. As an entry-level designer, you would begin by assisting experienced/senior designers on projects ranging from designing interiors of hotels, restaurants, museums, retail stores, private residences, multiplexes, medical suites, and the like. Of course, it is an established fact that working in a small design studio has its own advantages as you will be given more direct project responsibility than would happen in a large design studio. We can safely state that any of the targeted specialities mentioned in the below listed categories can become a career niche of its own accord. In order to improve your employability prospects, you can in fact cultivate more than one specialisation (corporate offices, medical establishments, malls). Some of the exciting career avenues available for interior architect and designers would be :-
- Residential Space Designer : with a surge in disposable income, the average Indian consumer is willing to splurge some extra money on redesigning home interiors and this poses itself as an interesting challenge for aspiring interior designers like yourself. This specialisation calls for providing tailored design solutions in tune with the client’s lifestyle and requirements.
- Commercial Space Designer : commercial space design encompasses public spaces like restaurants, hotels, resorts, health clubs, movie theatres, and the like. A commercial space designer needs to intelligently design the interior space bearing in mind the inherent dynamic nature and the aspect of flexibility that the commercial space demands.
- Institutional Space Designer : when you talk about institutional space, it generally covers establishments like museums, galleries, libraries, airport terminals, educational institutes, religious facilities and hospitals. Designing such large spaces demands ingenuity to cater to short-term as well as long-term requirements of the business.
- Workplace Designer : offices consciously spend money on transforming the working environment to provide a ergonomically conducive and upbeat workplace that helps leverage the employee’s productivity. Interior design professionals can take up the challenge of integrating complex requirements and delivering design solutions for such mixed-use structures.
- Exhibition Designer : exhibition design is one of the most intensely creative and demanding design speciality as the time frame for actual project execution is usually limited to 2–3 days. This calls for extensive knowledge of brand development, interior design, spatial planning, lighting, graphic design and stall design. Elaborate exhibitions and Trade Fairs have become a commonplace marketing practice across industries with companies opting for standard or tailor-made exhibits as per their budgetary constraints.
- Set Designer : sets are integral to films, theatre, television and extravagant shows. Therefore, a set designer’s task is to translate the director’s vision from paper into a three dimensional physical form. Colourful and captivating sets help bring perspective to the actor’s role and assist him/her in convincingly essaying the character.
With sustainability being the order of the day, interior designers, regardless of their speciality, must embrace sustainable design theories and practices and pay special attention in incorporating sustainable products, services and resources in their design plan. One important suggestion for all aspiring designers is to not hesitate in exploring design possibilities beyond the established rule of thumb. Creativity stems from thinking beyond what is customary and is exactly the reason why the field of design and designers exists and thrives.