Force.com is a rapid application development platform from Salesforce. It’s gaining prominence in enterprises and enterprise-targetting startups.
This service was recommended to me from multiple sources as the next big thing in enterprise development. I just had to check it out.
This article is my personal opinion about the service from the brief period that I spend on it.
First and foremost, let me clarify a possible confusion — Force.com and Salesforce.com are two very different things. Force.com is a platform for building generic applications and Salesforce.com is a SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) based online CRM (Customer Relationship Management) service. With Force.com, …
I had the pleasure of meeting Yury. A smart backend Java developer, now moved over to mobile development.
One of themes that we constantly happen to discuss is God and Spirituality. The conversation gets really interesting when someone from Ukraine and a non-brahmin Hindu discusses theology.
Thanks Yury. It was pleasure chatting with you. My son really, really liked your bike.
I have been living in Chicago area in the US for more than a decade. During this time I made lots of acquaintances and formed many professional associations but only with a select few, made much deeper connection — found lifelong friends and wonderful well-wishers. This connection was based on mutual appreciation and trust. These people are the ones who shaped my journey and gave me my worldview.
But as with any relationship that doesn’t get nurtured, trust slowly fades away and those who were once trusted me eventually languish as a LinkedIn connection. Of all the 500+ connections that you have in your LinkedIn or Facebook profiles, how many of them have you personally met in last 12 months. Lets take it to last 5 years and tell me the percentage. …
This article is Part II in the series on “Modular Architectures”. Part I can be found here.
When you go through the exercise of large-scale restructuring — refactoring is a subset of restructuring — you have to make choices. You have to limit your scope to only those areas that you give the biggest benefits and you will to do it in multiple cycles.
But to be successful and effective, I realized that it heavily depends on the context under which it is performed and what has already been done.
This article is an acknowledgement of the support I received and the set up that was already there before the refactoring. I merely exercised the “adjacent possible”. …
What is software architecture?
Wiki article on this topic starts with this sentence — “The word software architecture intuitively denotes the high level structures of a software system.”
For me, the keyword here is structure. I belong to the group of people who see software architecture as these three things — the structure of a system, process of creating such structure and finally, documentation of the structure.
There are many styles of indicating this structure. Some of the common ones are Service-Oriented, Message-Driven, Client/Server, N-Tier, Object-Oriented, Layered (e.g. MVC), and Domain-Driven Design architectures. …
I have proposed a Solo session for SXSW 2014. You can see it here. This is the story about how it happened.
Like most of my professional pursuits, this one also started with the same spark — Discontent.
Three years ago, I started working on an enterprise application in the traditional roles of systems analyst, architect, design & development.
As we worked through the project, I started to feel a knot in my stomach. I felt that we were not creating the best user interaction for the given context. But I didn’t know how to fix it.
The moment that led me to discover a new passion was when I stumbled across this article — Responsive Web Design. …
Note: What I am about to describe is mostly applicable to medium-to-large applications maintained by 5 or more team members.
Creating large enterprise software application is hard. Defining the requirement, making sure that it’s what business wanted, identifying and selecting right tools & processes, planning, architecting, designing, executing, testing and finally rolling out to production — its HARD.
That’s why many projects fail.
For the ones that do succeed,when you consider total life of the product, cost to create is only 30%. Remaining 70% is spent on growing the product — maintenance and enhancement. Business evolves; requirements changes. …