Earlier this month, I participated in #EndlessOrangeWeek, a program where the entire Endless team engages in projects designed to grow our collective learning related to our skills, work and mission.
The project I chose was to continue the coursework needed for the AICPA Not-for-Profit II Certificate. This is a professional certification at its second level.
I chose this because I wanted to hone my technical knowledge of how to create and successfully run a non-profit in the US that is in full compliance with laws and regulations. In order to obtain the certification, I had to attend the following classes:
- Form 990 Preparation: Schedules
- Form 990 Preparation: Core Form
- Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT) Case Studies
- Maintaining Tax Exemption
- Statement of Financial Position
- Statement of Activities
- Statement of Cash Flows
- Statement of Functional Expenses
- Financial Statement Note Disclosures for NFPs
- Interpreting and Analyzing Financial Statements
- Preparing Consolidated Financial Statements
Governance and Assurance
- Aligning Mission and Strategy
- Budget Considerations for Not-for-Profits
- Ethical Issues in Not-for-Profits
- Performance Measurement for Not-for-Profits
- Applying the COSO ERM Framework
- Risk Assessment for NFP
I can definitely say that I learned quite a lot during Orange Week as a result of completing the above courses. I’ve been working in the non-profit accounting universe for 15 years yet there were nuances these classes helped to clear up. For example, common errors found with non-profits’ Statement of Functional expenses is not allocating any costs to fundraising expense when the non-profit has significant contribution revenue. There may also be instances of “joint activities” with “joint costs” where a cost may relate to a fundraising activity but for a particular program.
Being a certified not-for-profit professional at the II level as defined by the AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants) provides a level of confidence an non-profit knowledge that I have found quite useful in my day to day work at Endless OS Foundation. It also provided a distinguishing, blue certification badge that anyone can click to look up my credentials online.
Thank you, Endless, for the time and opportunity provided to achive this goal!