Match report: Accrington Stanley 2–0 Notts County

Stanley had previously not won at home in their last five league matches.

Accrington secured their first home league win since last October with a 2–0 victory over Notts County at the Wham Stadium.

Defender Harvey Rodgers scored his first football league goal just before the end of the first half getting on the end of Sean McConville’s cross and powering a header past Adam Collin to put Accrington ahead.

Noor Husin scored on his Accrington debut, firing home from close range after Jonny Edwards’ shot was parried to double Stanley’s lead in the 79th minute.

Stanley move up two place into 19th after the victory and are now four points clear of the relegation zone whilst County remain in 22nd place.

McConville looked to test Collin in the Notts County goal from distance but his shot sailed wide of the target with three minutes gone.

Six minutes gone and Collin appeared to handle the ball outside the box after Rodgers’ diagonal pass but referee Darren Drysdale waved play on.

Rommy Boco’s free-kick from near the half-way line found its way onto the head of Omar Beckles who directed it back across goal for the onrushing Billy Kee but the ball was diverted away from danger.

Jon Stead had a good opportunity to break the deadlock approaching the half-hour mark, rounding Accrington goalkeeper Marek Rodak before seeing his low shot cleared off the line by Mark Hughes.

McConville saw the goal in his sights once more but his arrowing shot was deflected and out for a corner.

Sean Clare almost opening the scoring in spectacular fashion for Stanley, curling a shot from the edge of the box which was just pushed over the bar by the fingertips of Collin.

Stanley appeals for a penalty were waved away four minutes from time after Seamus Conneely looked to have a shot on goal from six yards out but was denied by a strong challenge from Michael O’Connor.

Accrington were ahead on the stroke of half-time after McConville’s left-hand cross was powered beyond Collin by the head of Rodgers from inside the box.

Adam Campbell had a chance to level the scores eight minutes into the second half but his low shot from inside the box was blocked.

At the other end Boco rounded off a good run down the left, cutting inside before hitting a driven shot and forcing a good stop down low from Collin at his near post.

Billy Kee looked to add his name to the scoresheet but blazed a shot straight over the bar after a neat turn on the edge of the area.

Kee stung the palms of Collin once more, controlling the ball with his chest before volleying straight at the Magpies stopper.

Substitute Jonny Edwards had a golden chance to double Stanley’s lead but couldn’t direct McConville’s corner anywhere but straight at Collin.

Accrington extended their lead courtesy of Husin, who tapped the ball into an empty net after Collin could only parry Edwards’ low shot to the Crystal Palace loanee.

Stanley could have been out of sight with three minutes left, Boco deflecting McConville’s free-kick against the bar from six yards out.

Accrington Stanley: Rodak, Donacien, Hughes, Beckles, Rodgers, McConville, Boco, Conneely, Clare (Husin, 67), McCartan (Edwards, 69) and Kee. Subs not used: Chapman, Davies, Clark, Gornell and Shaw

Notts County: Collin, Tootle, Duffy, Hollis, O’Connor, Yeates (T. Campbell, 69), Forte (Ameobi, 69), Milsom, Campbell, Stead and Audel (Bola, 37). Subs not used: Loach, Clackstone, Smith and Grant

Referee: Darren Drysdale (Lincolnshire)

Attendance: 1731 (491)