Pre-Course Week 3

Monday Check-In

James Hamann
Aug 1, 2016 · 2 min read

After barely finishing week 2’s exercises on Monday morning (and going slightly over into Monday afternoon), I keenly awaited Week 3’s challenge.

After receiving the email of this weeks challenge, it seemed quite straightforward and after what I had previously gone through in Week 2, I felt more ready and more keen to push on. The learning objectives for the week included going and learning more Ruby and reaching between 60–75 points on Codewars. I felt ready, and with the main bits of the move over, I felt I could focus more and give more energy to this week’s objectives.

The challenge for the week is to build a simple, but functional Student Directory, using Ruby and running everything from the command line. I started going through the steps and found myself a lot more familiar with things, I was comfortable with the command line and making/removing directories, and before I realised I had set a new project up, initialised a local repo, connected it to github and added a readme file. It all happened so quickly and even though there were steps to follow, I found the process quite natural and I never really came across any struggles or problems. I then realised, after only two weeks of part-time work, I had come quite far and it gave me confidence moving forward knowing that I was moving in the right direction.

I could be saying this all too soon as I have only spent a day working through this weeks challenge’s, however, so far, I feel better placed and more confident in what I am doing, which is nice. Lets hope things stay that way.

    James Hamann

    Written by

    Software Developer

    Welcome to a place where words matter. On Medium, smart voices and original ideas take center stage - with no ads in sight. Watch
    Follow all the topics you care about, and we’ll deliver the best stories for you to your homepage and inbox. Explore
    Get unlimited access to the best stories on Medium — and support writers while you’re at it. Just $5/month. Upgrade