Katalon Automation Recorder (Selenium IDE Alternative): Hands-on Review Tutorial
Hands-on review Tutorial — Katalon Automation Recorder (Selenium IDE for Chrome and Firefox):
Are you worried because your automation testing work has been hampered as Selenium IDE has stopped working from Firefox 55 onwards? Well, don’t be worried as we have some good news for you.
The Katalon Studio team has recently introduced Katalon Automation Recorder that has been developed for the users who are no longer able to continue the automation testing using obsolete Selenium IDE.
It can be added as an extension in Firefox and Chrome and supported by the latest versions of these browsers (and will be supported by the upcoming versions as well). This tool is a perfect alternative for the Selenium IDE and other similar open source frameworks.
Selenium IDE Vs Katalon Automation Recorder
In the below figure, you can observe that all the features that were presented in Selenium IDE are also available in this Katalon tool.
In fact, this Katalon tool has two more export languages — Robot Framework and Katalon Studio. It is also compatible with the Groovy programming language.
#1) With this tool, you can capture the web elements and record the actions performed on the web app. It allows you to create (new test cases), edit (existing test cases) and play automated test cases. And, all this can be done very fast and easily.
#2) All the Selenese commands are supported by this tool.
#3) Existing Selenium IDE tests can be imported into Katalon Recorder (using Script mode)
#4) This tool is compatible with latest versions of Firefox and Chrome browsers.
#5) It works on Selenium 3 core engine.
#6) Multiple test cases can be combined and arranged inside a test suite and can be executed as a complete test suite.
#7) Test cases can be imported into Katalon Studio — a completely free automation testing solution which is key- driven and data-driven, supports TDD/BDD Testing, API Testing, Page Object Model, test management, test case recording, advanced scripting, parallel execution, CI integrations and much more!
#8) Allows not only Katalon Studio users but also users of the obsolete Selenium IDE and other popular open source frameworks to record and playback automation tests.
There are certain commands which are experimental as of now. For example, ‘sendKeys’ command is experimental. In the future, this might get replaced with typeKeys command. So, we will have to update our test scripts accordingly in future in case we are using any experimental commands.
The option to specify base URL is also not presented anywhere on the tool. This was a useful option in Selenium IDE allowing test cases to be run across different domains.
In Firefox, I found the ‘Settings’ button missing on the toolbar of Katalon Recorder:
There are only 5 buttons present here as compared to 6 buttons in Chrome.
There are certain other bugs as well which are presented in the tool. Visit Katalon Automation Recorder Bugs and Suggestions section to check more on existing issues & their suggested resolutions.
Check here a quick getting started guide to Katalon Automation Recorder.
- This tool can be installed very easily and quickly.
- This tool is absolutely free.
- Easy to use. The Reference section is very helpful as it tells you in detail about how each command works and when it should be used.
- Multiple languages & frameworks support make this tool more useful.
- Almost all the features that were present in Selenium IDE are preserved in this tool.
- In fact, I could see few new commands added which were not available in Selenium IDE. This makes Automation Recorder even more powerful.
- This tool is a benefit for the testing teams which relied heavily on Selenium IDE for their automation testing work.
- Found this better than other substitutes for Selenium IDE. For example, unlike Kantu for Chrome, Katalon Recorder supports all the commands that were there in Selenium IDE.
- Compatible with latest Firefox and Chrome browsers and will be supported in upcoming versions as well.
- A few small bugs exist in the tool. However, these bugs they stand nowhere at front of the great features, ease of use & the capabilities offered by this tool.