No Mediocre: 9 Ways To Ensure Getting What You Want Out of Life
The other day, I was jamming to an oldie, but a goodie. T.I.’s song, “No Mediocre”. This song is a bit vulgar so if you are easily offended by profane language, maybe skip it. I love T.I. and vulgarity aside, it has an important message that I feel is applicable to life in general. Essentially, he is talking about not settling when it comes to women. He wants the best and nothing sub-par. In order to get whatever you want out of life, it is truly imperative to be clear on EXACTLY what you want, have standards, and never settle.
Riffing off the vibes of this song, here are 9 ways to secure the life you want:
1. Live Your Truth — It’s so important to be authentic to yourself and own your truth. When I was younger, sometimes I would get a little embarrassed when I was called “high-maintenance” or labeled “too much”. The implication was always that I should “tone it down” and be a little less dramatic. This came up often when I was dating and some men thought I was “really cool” and would be perfect, if I could only just be a little less opinionated, less outspoken or less emotional. I honestly did try, I’m sad to confess. I wanted to be considered more “ladylike” and more reserved, but ultimately, the “real me” would always be unleashed. Eventually, I came to accept that a passionate, vivacious, outspoken, sometimes loud and overly dramatic person was just who I was and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Being comfortable in my own skin has made me happier and more confident, allowing me to redirect energy from trying to change my core, to the more important things in life.
2. Let Your Heart Be Your Guide — Similar to #1, sometimes, we pursue things for money or paths that society accepts or deems more respectable but that don’t really resonate with us. To that end, you will always find yourself longing for more and never truly satisfied. If you can pursue something that you are passionate about, a. you can avoid wasting a lot of time and b. it’s only a matter of time before the money and stability follow. Wouldn’t it be truly amazing to build a life around doing something you actually enjoy instead of settling for something that makes it hard to get out of bed in the morning?
3. Don’t Settle — My mama used to say when you settle for less, you get a whole lot less and I have experienced this first hand on more than one occasion. Don’t settle. It’s never worth it and you will still end up unhappy and without what you originally desired in the first place. Instead, recommit yourself to your goals and focus on what it is you need and continue to follow the plan you laid out to make it happen.
4. See the Big Picture, Then Drill Down & Write it All Down — Studies show that there is infinite power in writing your goals down. It makes an imprint on your subconscious and renders it more real and attainable. Like energy, you are setting things in motion when you take your dreams out of your head and write them down. This is a real actionable step you can take in creating the life you want. I write everything down. Not in my phone but on an actual piece of paper with a pen. I have to-do lists everywhere because it just helps me function and get more done. Plus, I love crossing things off and seeing a list get shorter. When it comes to goals, the best approach is to start at the top and then, break it down into steps that you can take. You are basically building a customized road map to your dream. The goal would be to drill down to the steps that you can take daily so that your goal isn’t some far off destination in the corner of your mind that you fantasize about. However, it is something you can actually taste and touch as you actively perform tasks on a daily basis that bring you closer to where you want to be.
5. Surround Yourself With Like-minded Individuals — Stay away from energy vampires and Debbie Downers. These people will only drag you down and drain you of the positivity and essential life force you need to create your charmed life. Cut them off at the pass and grant them no access to the beautiful life you are creating. Do not let them talk your ear off with their endless list of troubles, do not let them discourage you from what your heart is seeking. Do not allow them to tear you down and open yourself up to negative criticism. You have to guard yourself and your dreams as if your life depends on it because it does. The company you keep can make all the difference in your mental state and your behavior. Once you’ve decided that you are going to the moon and beyond, you’ll realize that some people in your life are simply not meant to accompany you on that journey.
6. Have Your Own Back — Believe in yourself. Have faith in yourself. Trust that you got this. That mindset alone will propel you towards success and you will be comforted in knowing that whatever it is you want, is happening in the very moment that you set your heart on it. It’s simply a matter of time. At some point, you have to understand that there is just no one else in the world like you.
7. Fall Down but Always Get Back up Again — Disappointments, setbacks, failures. All of them happen to even the best of us, but it doesn’t have to be the permanent status quo. Learn from your errors and get back to work. Your dreams await. I have a tendency to chastise myself for mishaps or disappointing experiences. I will spend a ridiculous amount of time agonizing over why I did what I did and what I should have done. Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda doesn’t change the present state of affairs. Don’t be your own worst enemy by dwelling on the past. Use it for the teachable moment it is and keep it moving.
8. Do, Do, Do — Don’t get stuck in planning, wishing, dreaming, fantasizing. These are beautiful but at some point, you really have to put visions and desires into action and get off the sidelines of life. Don’t be scared to be great and take full control of your life. Once you begin, you start building momentum and excitement in knowing that you are taking an active role in creating the life you want. JUST DO IT!
9. Let Go, Let God — No matter what happens, you have to let go at some point. I am a self-confessed control freak and not having control truly causes me anxiety but at the end of the day, I have to understand I just can’t control everything and neither can you. Be assured that what is meant to come to you, will. Let go of apprehension, self-doubt, and ego. These emotions create an energy that will stifle you and close off your opportunities and growth. So let it all go and trust that the things you have set your heart on, are most definitely on their way to you.
What say you? Leave us a tip on how you get what you want out of life and any habits you feel we should adopt.
If you liked what you read, clap it up please:)
Originally published at www.thetruthaboutjavi.com.