Kerala Weddings: A Fun Place to be
The most unique and wonderful aspect of kerala matrimony is that despite being compliant with Vedic rituals and customs, they are brief and simple. The focus is not on the pomp and show, extravagant preparations and loud music, but core rituals and pious observations. They have comparatively much lesser rituals and the religious compulsions too, are lesser. For example, if you go to a traditional Nair event, you will see it occurs in a nearby temple. However, the residence of the bride is the main epicenter of the wedding.
Sometimes, the event can take place in convention center or wedding hall convenient for both families. It’s a fun place to be because it has a series of pre-wedding rituals and ceremonies, followed by main wedding ceremonies and post-wedding ones.
- Muhurtham: Their parents meet and exchange horoscopes. If the kundalis match, the parents choose an ideal date. This auspicious muhurtham is done after they consult a family astrologer.
- Nischayam: It’s the engagement ceremony where they announce, rejoice, share and mutually celebrate the joyous event. The happiness comes from the marriage’s confirmation. The approved and compared horoscopes are then exchanged during the event. During the course of celebrations, some families also perform a ring exchange function or mothiram maattal. The families give each other gifts here.
- The pre-nuptial ceremony for the bride: This blessing ceremony takes place the place of the bride on the day before the wedding. The relatives and only the close family members attend the ceremony. Often, it involves a sumptuous feast. The bride is draped in a fine silk sari and beautiful jewelry. She then has to seat facing towards the east. Elders pour in from all quarters of the family, giving their blessings to the girl. The groom’s family also organizes a similar function. It takes place in his house.
- Mehendi ceremony: It’s actually a rarity in kerala matrimony but Nair weddings celebrate mehendi ceremony with pomp and grandeur. It takes place at the house of the bride. The aunts of the girl apply mehendi, deep paste, on her hands. They celebrate it with a lot of fanfare.
- Coming to the wedding rituals: You will find that the most preferred venue to conduct a weeding is the ancestral abode of the bride. However, it’s more of a matter of conveyance and convenience today. Many families are opting for temples or convention centers.
- Dakshina kodukkal: The couple gets blessings of their parents and elders. They give them dakshina by touching the feet. The function takes place at their homes. After finishing this, they leave for their wedding destination.
- On the customs: There are specific rules regarding the décor and arrangement of the kalyana mandap. You’ll have a plethora of sacred arrangements that entail specific meanings and significance in Hindu customs. Their placement is invariably important.
- Kanyadan: The bride’s family warmly welcomes the groom and the mother washes his legs and takes him to the dais.
Everything happens in a ceremonious manner and a group of girls carry diyas or deepams. The banana stalks, palm fronds, fabric and flowers make it beautiful.
Download the Malayalee Shaadi app and find Malayalee brides & grooms from the largest Kerala Matrimony site.