Atlanta Falcons is expected to open the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium in 2017 in replacement of the Georgia Dome. In order to let their fans to fully enjoy this brand new stadium, the Falcons wants to leverage their current mobile app into a guide that can give game attendees a better experience. The app should allow users to discover everything the new stadium has to offer, and simplify the the process for purchasing concessions and merchandise both at the counter and from their seats.
My team and I decided that we want to focus on “food&beverage ordering” feature for the new app, and the first step we took was to conduct a competitive/comparative analysis on not only other stadium/NFL team apps but also other f&b related app such as Starbucks, Chipotle, and Yelp. Also, we sent out a survey asking about user experience when using above apps and when attending a sporting event, and had received over 50 responses. Based on our research, we were able to build the frame for the new feature, and started sketching paper prototype of the app. The new feature lets users to view different venues and be able to order food and pay for it within the app in their seats.
After a series of user testing, We came up with few solutions for the main problems that users had, which includes the layout of the venue list, filter options, and traffic indication. My biggest struggle was to be able to find a solution within the restriction of the existing brand and real estate. I tried to adapt few of the existing apps, such as Yelp, as a guide to design layouts to minimize the confusion. Also, one of our key feature was to indicate the level of traffic in each venue so that users can have estimated waiting time. We incorporated the idea of heat map by creating a series of clock icons with 3 different colors; red is the busiest, yellow is medium, and green indicates the least busiest place.
Then we started to think about our personas, whom we created in the beginning of the project. We came up with user flows of the new feature in the app based on these personas, and when we were working on the final iteration of the prototype, we had these specific personas and their user flows in mind. Especially when we don’t have the luxury to have the actual users to work with, persona is a great way to prevent leaving the users out of the process.
Since this was my first time building a prototype entirely in Axure, it was a bit of a challenge at first. I focused on the results and feedback we got from multiple user testing as I worked on my iterations. It was easier to test out a higher fidelity prototype to users than a sketched prototype, because users were able to look pass the fact that it is a prototype and gave me more in depth feedback that I could directly use.
Overall, it was a tough 2 week. It was the first group project since we started the program, and I had a fair amount of frustrated moments during the journey. However, I was able to learn to work as a team and to understand different views from different backgrounds.