Corpus Christi, Year B, 6/7/15: Focus & Function
Focus: Christ is the true and living bread which gives eternal life the world, and we abide with him when we consume his body and blood.
Function: For people to believe and experience that they are united with Christ when they participate in Holy Communion.
- In this post-Easter and Ascension season, how do we experience Christ’s presence with us, his work in the world, etc.? At table sharing food is one of the most intimate.
- Jesus’s knowledge and experience of everyday life and work that spoke the deepest truths. I get the feeling that Jesus knew something about the kitchen, or at least the table.
- Controversies over the meaning of this text. And the meaning of Eucharist. This is an institution text.
- Founding of the feast of corpus christi (use Aquinas’s hymn here).
- Deepest meaning of the text of union/interrelationship with Christ explained by “living bread.” Explore meaning of “eternal life.” Not dependent on the method of union in the Blessed Sacrament. But that this is a clear expression and realization of Christ’s presence, which is possible by many other means, but most truly in this Sacrament.
- Conclude with Aquinas’s hymn.