…ething hits the team that needs work, the team is in much better shape to deal with it as a result. Similarly, when an individual really needs to share a problem or a manager really needs to share some tough feedback, the investment in 1:1s really pays off.
… when to meet or won’t mind “jumping on a quick call” instead of a thoughtful in-person discussion. Every interaction the 80% have with the 20% is one in which the 80% are thinking hard about “am I doing a good job” and the way that the “20%” handle this is key. What I often reminded myself of is that for the most part as a manager, people value time with you as a manager as equivalent to “getting a performance review in real-time”. So the lesson for me was to treat that time and manage it appropriately.
…agers, so 4 of 5 people are out there doing the work that managers are coordinating and “deciding”. It turns out to take a lot of time, effort, and focus to make 80% of the resources of a company effective and that is more important than making the remaining 20% effective.