Tipple was a week-long sprint used to rapid prototype an application based on the problems discovered for a classmate at General Assembly. The end product was a low-level prototype which was then developed into a high-fidelity prototype in a separate one-week sprint.
Tipple is an application for wine enthusiasts who can store notes based on wines they have purchased or consumed allowing them to have their own personal database which they can refer back to at any point.
Pen; Paper; Marvel; Sketch
User Interviews; Rapid Prototyping; Participatory Design; User Flows; Sketching; Paper Prototypes
After conducting an interview with Malgo I found out that she has a passion for wine. She likes to drink 2/3 times a week, most of the time this is at home but on occasions she goes out to restaurants. She also likes to go to wine tasting classes.
Her main problem is that she can’t keep track of what bottles she has had through her wine tasting classes and what bottles she has previously brought. This means she’s vulnerable to purchasing a bottle of wine she doesn’t like or forgets bottles she does like. Malgo also finds that quality wine can be very expensive. She struggles to balance quality wine with a low price.
We spoke about what the main goals of the application were and with this we came up with two user flows:
- The ability to write a review for a bottle of wine and have access to it at any point.
- View bottles of wines based on what she has previously searched for and purchased.
At first we decided to time box ourselves and create three sketches based on a set of user flows developed. This helped us focus on the functionality of the app and not worry about the appearance at this stage. We reviewed this and made a list on what should be changed. This included areas such as the navigation bar and making use of iconography. Further developments were conducted and shown to the user for feedback. The original sketches were focused on the ability to purchase bottles of wine. After this phase was done the focus was on the user which then allows them to add notes on bottles they have purchased and to add and read reviews by other users. This was a continuous process until we both felt happy with the functionality and the design.
It was decided that the app would use a tab navigation bar as it is easier for the user to navigate around the app. This was implemented into the paper prototype and was shown to the user who agreed with the idea. Some further changes were made to the wireframes which was to move the navigation to the bottom of the screen as this is common with the design for IOS.
The user felt that too much information was being shown to her on the wine bottle screen and was not sure where to look at. This was an issue addressed by reorganising the layout of the content. The bottle of wine was converted to a background header which allowed the primary functionality to be placed within this area.
You can see the prototype here: https://marvelapp.com/1j9h35d/screen/15026047
We discussed ways in which the application could be further developed. This could be done with three additions:
- Adding a profile to view users activity and experience.
- A messaging board to communicate with other users.
- A news feed which would allow you to see what wines other people you follow have reviewed.