How To Use Turmeric To Treat Acne Effectively
Acne is a common skin problem that most people with oily skin suffer from. When skin produces excess sebum and dirt clogs pores, this causes bacteria to breed and lead to acne. Anything from over production of sebum to hormonal imbalances, poor diet, poor hygiene etc can trigger Acne.
How To Treat Acne
There are several over the counter products available to treat acne, but most of these are found to be ineffective and cause side effects like over drying of the skin that leads to skin to produce even more oil. Turmeric has been a tried tested ingredient used in treatment of acne.
Is Turmeric Good for Acne Treatment?
Turmeric is antibacterial and anti-fungal. It kills the bacteria that cause breakouts. Curcumin, a component of turmeric (Curcumin longa), a type of ginger. Curcumin has anti — inflammatory property that help educe the inflammation and redness It contains anti-oxidant property which help in getting rid of free radicals and prevent future occurrence of acne Its anti-septic properties help remove bacterial infection from the skin pores and avoid acne.
How to Use Turmeric to Treat and Prevent Acne
Turmeric on its own or in combination with other natural ingredients can be used to achieve a clear breakout free skin. Here are a few DIY’s for you to try and see which one works best for you.
DIY Number One: Turmeric with Honey, Yogurt, and Chickpea Flour
Turmeric is anti bacterial, The lactic acid in yogurt will help dissolve dead skin and tighten pores. Honey is naturally antibacterial, so it’s great for acne treatment and prevention and Chickpea flour helps reduce oiliness.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon each of honey and plain yogurt. Add 1 teaspoon chickpea flour and make a smooth paste.
- Apply all over the face and neck and avoid the eyes. Leave on for 15–20 minutes or until dry.
- Rinse with warm water and pat dry. Use this pack twice a week for best results.
DIY Number Two: Turmeric with Sandalwood and Milk Face Pack
Turmeric has anti-bacterial properties, milk moisturizes and sandalwood powder soothes the inflamed skin.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 tablespoons of sandalwood powder, and enough milk to make a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on cleansed skin and leave on for at least 20 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry. Use this pack twice a week for best results
- For best results you should Look for brands that use Turmeric as ingredient. Vya Naturals Turmeric Clarifying Creamy Face Wash is a good alternative to get started on a basic turmeric skincare routine. It is a non staining and perfect for night or day. It is also available on Amazon.
- Use turmeric in your food. Shake Up and Sip On Turmeric Milk
- When ever possible use pure and organic turmeric.
- Turmeric stains are hard to remove so try not to spill or over use it
- Although Turmeric is suitable for all skin types, if you develop a rash or itch, stop using turmeric. Do a patch test to determine if you are allergic to turmeric.