This guide will walk you through the steps to get a Ravencoin testnet wallet, starting the wallet in testnet mode, and creating a restricted asset.
Restricted assets work in tandem with tags, also known as ‘qualifier assets’. These are assets that, when held by an address, allow it to receive a restricted asset. To use restricted assets with tags, you will need to issue a qualifier asset, a main asset, and a restricted asset. The total cost to make a working restricted asset with tags costs 3000 RVN + some miner fees; 1000 for the qualifier asset, 500 for a main asset, and 1500 for a restricted asset. Sending tags burns 0.1 RVN per tag.
Getting a Ravencoin Testnet wallet
1. Get the latest testnet build from: https://raven-nightly-builds.ravencoin.org/
NOTE. This website might give you some errors. You can either choose to ignore the errors or use a privacy mode like incognito.
2. In this guide, I will be using raven-22.214.171.124-develop-08117f7-win64.zip
3. Extract the wallet and navigate to its contents.
Using the Ravencoin wallet in Testnet mode.
4. To work on testnet, you will need to run the wallet in testnet mode:
- Go to the folder:
- Right click raven-qt.exe and choose create shortcut.
- Right click raven-qt.exe — Shortcut and choose properties.
- For the target field add -testnet. In windows 10 It will look like:
NOTE: In other Windows versions, there might be quotes around the text. In this case, type –testnet at the very end (not within the quotes).
- Press ok, and open raven-qt.exe — Shortcut.
- You are now using testnet and you can see this because the startup screen shows a green Ravencoin logo. If you have not yet used a Ravencoin wallet before, you are asked where you want to put the blockchain. Choose a location or use default.
TIP: if you like to use the wallet in dark mode, go to Wallet > Display in the menu, and check Enable Dark Mode. You will need to restart the wallet for it to take effect. The screenshots in this tutorial are using dark mode.
Start mining [OPTIONAL]
5. It is generally a good idea to start cpu mining in the wallet to make sure your transactions hit the blockchain as there are not many people mining on the testnet at any given moment.
- Go to help > debug window > console.
- To start mining type:
setgenerate true 2
- This will start mining on 2 CPU cores. If you want to use more (or less) cores, change the number.
- Close the debug window.
- If you mine a block, you will start seeing incoming transactions of 5000 RVN on the right side of the screen.
Working with restricted assets
6. Creating assets costs (burns) Ravencoins, or in this case, testnet Ravencoins. So, you will need some testnet coins before going forward. You can get them by mining (see step 5), this takes 101 confirmations, or ~1h30m per mined block. It might be faster to get some coins by asking someone in Ravencoin discord testnet channel or Ravencoin telegram. Once you have coins, you are good to go to start issuing and managing assets.
7. Let’s start with a qualifier (i.e., tag) asset.
- Go to the Create Assets tab.
- For Asset Type, choose Qualifier Asset. This costs 1000 testnet RVN.
- For Name, type a name starting with a #-sign.
- As asset names are unique, you will have to choose one that does not exist on the network yet. Click, Check Availability on the right side to check if your desired name is available. You will see Valid asset in the middle of the screen. If not, change the name.
- For quantity, choose 1. Unless you have a colleague who you also want to allow to tag addresses. You can issue more then and send your colleague a tag asset later.
NOTE: currently, the maximum number of tag assets is 10. So, you can assign a maximum of 10 addresses/people to whitelist Ravencoin addresses. This specific asset type is not reissuable! Make sure you choose a quantity that suits your purpose.
- You can add content to the asset using IPFS or OIP if you check add IPFS/Txid Hash. This content will be written onto the blockchain and visible to anyone looking up the asset. Leave it unchecked for now.
- Choose create asset once you are satisfied with your settings. Verify the action. The issuance of this asset will be a transaction on the network and will burn 1000 RVN.
You now have a tag asset!
8. To make a restricted asset, you first need to make a main asset (that will hold the same name).
- Go to the Create Assets tab.
- For Asset Type, choose Main Asset. This costs 500 testnet RVN.
- For Name, type a name.
- Click, Check Availability on the right side to check if your desired name is available. You will see Valid asset in the middle of the screen. If not, change the name.
- For quantity, choose the desired number of tokens and for Units, the desired amount of decimals. If you keep reissuable checked, you are able to change these settings later at a cost of 100 RVN.
CAUTION: you can only increase the number of tokens and decimals. Decreasing these numbers would effectively delete coins on the Ravencoin blockchain and that is not allowed.
- You can add content to the asset using IPFS or OIP if you check add IPFS/Txid Hash. This allows you for example to attach more details or contracts to the asset. You can use https://www.mangofarmassets.com/assetbuilder for example to build an IPFS document to attach.
- Choose create asset once you are satisfied with your settings. Verify the action. The issuance of this asset will be a transaction on the network and will burn 500 RVN.
Great, you now have a main asset!
9. Before we issue a restricted asset associated with the tag we made earlier, we need to do two things. First we need to find the address containing the tag asset.
- Go to the Transactions panel.
- Find the transaction of the Tag you made.
- Right click the transaction and choose copy address.
10. Second, we need to tell the Ravencoin blockchain that the address holding the tag token is a whitelisted address, so we need to tag it.
- Go to the Restricted Assets panel and select the Assign/Remove Qualifier panel.
- Choose your tag token in the drop down menu.
- Paste the address that you copied in step 9.
- Press check for the wallet to check that your action is allowed.
- Press submit, and verify your action.
For the next steps, make sure that the transactions from your previous actions hit the Ravencoin blockchain. You can see this in the Transactions panel. Make sure there is no question mark in front of your latest tag transactions.
11. Now let’s create the restricted asset.
- Go to the Create Assets tab.
- For Asset Type, choose Restricted Asset. This costs 1500 testnet RVN.
- In the dropdown box, choose your main asset associated with your restricted asset.
- For Address paste the address from step 9 and 10.
- For verifier string type the name of the tag asset starting with the #-sign.
- Choose a desired quantity and number of decimals.
- Add IPFS/OIP if desired.
- Choose reissuable if you want to change the quantity, units, and/or IPFS/OIP later.
- Click, Check Availability on the right side to check if your desired name is available. You will see Valid Asset in the middle of the screen. If not, there is already a restricted asset associated with your main asset.
- Choose create asset once you are satisfied with your settings. Verify the action. The issuance of this asset will be a transaction on the network and will burn 1500 RVN.
Congratulations! You are now set to work with your restricted asset. Go to the Restricted asset panel. You can start tagging more addresses like you did in step 10. When you go to the Restrict Addresses/Global tab you can freeze/unfreeze trading on tagged addresses or freeze/unfreeze all trading of the restricted asset. In the Transfer Asset panel you can transfer assets to whitelisted addresses. You will notice error messages if you try to send it to non-whitelisted addresses.
IMPORTANT NOTE 1: At time of writing this, there are still bugs in the 126.96.36.199-develop-08117f7 wallet that are not fixed yet. Be patient with freezing/unfreezing and don’t try to make the same action twice in a row because it will crash your wallet.
IMPORTANT NOTE 2: Currently, reissuing restricted assets in the graphical user interface of version 188.8.131.52-develop-08117f7 does not work.
11AUG2019: added info on tag burn cost.
13AUG2019: added a note on tag asset quantity.