The Evolution of Edit Menus
The difference is better than better
The value of Difference(unique but still keeps right) is lies in developing the other dimensions of thinking, change the perspective of things, will be a very interesting direction.
And the Better is about to improving something but not jump out the original thoughts and roles.
“This is an area in which everyone seems to be stuck in the same predicament and nothing changed in a very long time”
Review the current situation
The Edit Menus was made by Apple initially as the industry standard.
We have to think of it as the traditional when we searching for the disruptive direction.
Text Selection Toolbar at Material Design
More Reading: why people doing copy on the screen?
Jony Ive talks about the Touch Bar on CNET:
“Our starting point, from the design team’s point of view, was recognizing the value with both input methodologies. But also there are so many inputs from a traditional keyboard that are buried a couple of layers in. We have that ability to accommodate complex inputs, mainly out of habit and familiarity.”
“Multitouch strip that replaces the function keys at the top of your keyboard. That OLED display lights up to serve a changing menu of buttons, control sliders, dials, tools and even emojis that change depending on the app you’re using.”
- Semantic analysis is the core technology we have to take into consider.
Actually, we don’t have to fully understand what the semantic is. It could know the “iPad pro” is a product name/Katy Perry is a female pop-star/The Martian is a movie. That’s enough.
- iOS was open a lot of APIs, all about use the data of apps.
- The Smartisan 3.0, the Big Bang and One Step, is well-established for mobile productivity.
- Use the apps without download and installation. Wechat WeApp
- The technical brings the imagination.
What are the Cliches?
- One application owns the full screen independently in use.
- Quit from one, select and then open another one when we copy something to discover.
- Lack of running multi-application at the same time.
What we do is to making the disruption against those familiar way we discover the knowledge. Also, that’s why the innovative design team exists.
How the pro-users are improving the productive?
There are a bunch of apps/plugins on android about the efficiency things.
The Google Translate’s icon shows up on the screen when you copy the text.
The truth can not be ignore
People doing things like that piece by piece and gets the short satisfaction which means lack of utility in most context so that people continue to go back to the traditional way. Especially under the pressure situation or emergency moments.
What they really needs is an essential facility in service and knowledge which covers most of the contexts that easy to learn or even not to learn.
I wonder what would happen if we…
Consider the Invert/Deny/Scale, these big three methods of disruptive hypotheses.
- One application owns the full screen independently in use. (what would happen if we Inverse the direction: Multi-application owns the screen in use)
- Quit from one, select and then open another one when we copy something for more information. (what would happen if we Deny it: No quit, stay at where we are)
- Lack of running the multi-application at the same time.(what would happen if we Scale it: Running 2 or more apps at the same time)
Thus, the situation has changed and the hypotheses maybe right or maybe wrong, but we got new sights and directions.
It would be like…
We are always want to be able to buy all stuffs in single one place at the same time instead of go to 2 bakeries/3 shopping malls and walk through 3 blocks.
Redefined the edit menus that allows mobile user to augments the ability of discover knowledge and service from multi-applications by strengthen the collaboration between the apps.
Writing mode or edit email etc.
Human would do the Monkey’s do(Just tap)
Also, the touch bar is doing the same thing: Lines out the actions/buttons…depending on the app in use and following the contexts change that cuts off the shortcuts like ⌘+c.
Balance the benefits within 3 aspects:
- Living in the system, being an essential facility and be difference with the others (the platform)
- Display the service from apps that are relevant with the selected text (the third-party)
- People gets the productive improving (users)
Explore the edge of digital world
Being unsatisfied to discover and create new desires. If it can be done as different but still keeps right, more even so.