Why No One’s Clicking On Your Twitter Links

You’ve finally done it. After weeks of contemplation and planning you’ve finally got your Twitter account all set up with the perfect profile picture and an even better twitter handle. In fact being the overachiever that you are you’ve even put together small schedule for your tweets.

Then you start tweeting.

Weeks go by, maybe even months pass by the time you realize the unthinkable has happened. Despite being shared hundreds of times, not a single one of your links linking back to your site be it for a promotion or just useful content has been clicked.

BLASPHEMY! you scream. However according to a study done by Hubspot’s Dan Zarrella the reality is that even if a tweet has a link it’s still more likely to be retweeted than to be clicked.

Now the bad news is that we cannot fully control what people do with the tweets we release into the world. The good news however is we can still take the proper precautions to give those tweets the best chance by altering the way we do things. Here are 4 problems killing your Twitter click through rates and ways to solve them.

Problem #1: Your A Self Promotional Spammer

First things first, there is NOTHING wrong with promoting your new product or eCourse every now and then after all you are running a business. However, this becomes problematic when every now and then turns into every other tweet. No one is going to listen, let alone interact, with a megaphone man or woman.

The Solution: Apply the 80/20 rule. The rule entails that 80 percent of the content you release should be either educational or entertaining to your target audience. This content should have nothing to do with what your selling or your brand. While the remaining 20 percent should be used for promotional purposes.

Problem #2: Your Placing Your Link Too Early (or Too Late) In The Tweet

According to a study done back in 2011 by social media scientist Dan Zarrella the optimal link placement was determined to be about 25–30% of the way through the tweet. This study was done based off of a sample size of about 200,000 random tweets.

However, a more recent study done by Kinetic Social using tweets from 2015/2015 concludes that the optimal link is around 73% of the way through the tweet. The sample size used for this study is substantially smaller with only 6,400 tweets.

The Solution: Ultimately in order to figure out which placement works better for your business is going to depend on you testing both of these out. But as long as you aren’t placing your links at the very beginning or dead last in your tweets you should be fine.

Problem #3: Your Tweets Aren’t Mobile Friendly

Here’s a little food for thought. About 80% of Twitter users access twitter while on their mobile devices. These are the people who go on a social media scrolling frenzy during the commercial breaks of Big Bang Theory or while waiting in the line at the DMV. No one is going to stop to zoom in and out of your disaster of a tweet.

The Solution: Begin by making sure the sites your linking back too in your tweets are mobile friendly as well. Secondly, keep the complete message of your tweet under 140 characters. Thirdly, take a look at your analytics and see if there is a difference in time when mobile users and desktop users click your links, if there’s any crossover adjust your tweeting schedule accordingly.

Problem #4: Your Not Tweeting Enough

Yes, you read that right. In the Twitter-verse if you want your message to be heard, your going to have to repeat yourself more than once. 500 Million tweets are sent out every day on average, so if you’ve only been tweeted about that new blog post or product once for fear of being spammy you need to re-consider. Now no one is suggesting you just to copy and past the same tweet and send it out again because that would be spammy.

A Solution to this problem would look something like this. You write a blog post so you tweet about the headline of the post as a link, the next day you start a conversation with tweet that asks a question which is answered by said blog post, a few days later you can then again offer a piece of statistical evidence that further backs up your blog post. Your audience now has 2 more opportunities for engagement rather than just the one tweet that got buried in their feed 5 hours ago.

In Conclusion, the only way to win in this Twitter game is to just take a step back, inhale deeply, and remind yourself that your in this for the long haul and nothing comes immediately. Just stick to your guns apply the things you learn and only keep what works for you. You’ve got this.