CENTENE-WELLCARE DIVESTING MEDICAID PLANS IN TWO STATES TO ANTHEM
Centene is moving forward in its acquisition of WellCare and needs to satisfy regulatory requirements…
Anthem will buy Medicaid operations owned by WellCare Health Plans in Missouri and Nebraska as Centene ( NYSE: CNC ) offloads specific units to win approval of its WellCare acquisition by regulators. Shareholders have already approved the acquisition of WellCare; Centene and WellCare are seeking approval of their deal from 26 states and the Department of Justice.
WellCare ( NYSE: WCG ) was founded in 1985 and is based in Tampa, Florida. It has a diverse group of managed care plans encompassing Medicaid, Medicare Advantage, and Medicare Prescription Drug plans. The organization has over 4.4 million members enrolled in its benefit programs nationwide.
Based in Indianapolis, Anthem ( NYSE: ANTM )operates Blue Cross Blue Shield plans in 14 states and is continuing to grow in the highly competitive managed care / health insurance market sector. Anthem is already ranked as the second largest health insurance provider in the country and has been on the hunt for acquisitions to grow its businesses. Anthem will add 300,000 Medicaid members through its deal with Centene and WellCare.
Centene, headquartered in Clayton, Missouri, committed over $15 billion to acquire WellCare early in 2019; acquisitions of this size are complex not only in terms of finance and operations but also as to how regulators may weigh in on them. Centene has been steadily growing and the WellCare acquisition is well suited to their business model. With the WellCare acquisition, they will have over 22 million covered lives enrolled in their plans.
Learn more about Centene by reading this article:
Centene has completed a long line of mergers and acquisitions over the last fifteen years. Their focus in Medicaid and Medicare is unique. While managed care organization mergers and acquisitions have been frequent, most of them avoid this sector based on its heavy regulation and lower margins. By dedicating themselves to this challenging business environment, Centene is successful and new competitors are less likely to enter the space as they recognize the lower profit and heavy administration burden barriers in place.
Thank you for reading this article. Check out my other stories about healthcare advancements, technology, digital marketing, social media strategy plus my healthcare industry website:
A Healthcare Industry Resource for…
- healthcare marketing and digital marketing strategy
- business intelligence, investment community
- managed care, managed markets, market access
- sector-focused healthcare industry insights
- career development, job searches, academics
Connect with me at LinkedIn and Twitter…
I lead healthcare marketing initiatives in competitive sectors spanning pharmaceutical, medical device technology, clinical programs, health services, healthcare RPA ( robotic process automation ), software, SaaS and managed care. I am from a healthcare family ( 20+ credentialled medical professionals ) and have 20+ years experience in the healthcare industry advancing patient care and achieving commercial goals.
· Numerous medical specialties and sectors including hospital, health system, IDN, MTF, surgery center, LTC, dialysis, oncology, pharmacy ( retail, mail, compounding, specialty ), GPO, distributor, wholesaler, consumer / patient, employers, benefit consulting and payers ( MCO, BCBS, PBM, Medicaid, Medicare, DHA / TRICARE )
· Digital marketing, SEO, content development, email marketing, PPC, clinical/promotional print and digital collateral, brand management, product management, market research, segmentation, marketing / sales collaboration, corporate communications, budgeting, forecasting, vendor management, managed care, market access
· Healthcare programs, services, pharmaceuticals, medical device technology, wireless EHR connectivity, disposables, software, SaaS, RPA ( Robotic Process Automation )