CEO RESIGNS AS MAJOR BROADCASTERS BAN JUUL ADS AND FDA PROBE BEGINS
In an era of wellness, healthcare costs, tobacco avoidance and pharmaceutical medical device regulation; how did e-cigarettes and vaping products avoid more medical scrutiny until now?
JUUL CEO resigns…
Kevin Burns has resigned as Juul’s CEO. Burns will be replaced by former Altria executive K.C. Crosthwaite. In a press release JUUL communicated that Crosthwaite plans to continue an assessment of the company’s business practices and policies to ensure alignment with its aim of responsible leadership.
Altria has invested nearly $13 billion for a 35% stake in Juul -a huge stake in the embattled e-cigarette / vaping industry. Altria stock may be negatively impacted by the recent turn of events involving JUUL and its competitors as the FDA and other regulatory authorities assess the healthcare issues involving their products.
Further pressures are impacting the company. Based in San Francisco, California, JUUL has announced it will end all broadcast, print and digital product promotion in the United States for the immediate future.
Broadcasters taking action…
Leading broadcasters CBS, Viacom, WarnerMedia and others are already pulling ads from Juul, Halo, Blu and other e-cigarette / vaping product manufacturers amid a growing healthcare crisis associated with the devices and rising number of teenagers vaping. These bans encompass BET, CNN, MTV, TBS, TCM, TNT, Nickelodeon and other channels. No word from ABC ( business unit of The Walt Disney Company ) or NBC ( business unit of Comcast ) if they will follow with similar bans.
Regulators are realizing the risks…
In an era of wellness, healthcare costs, smoke-free environments, tobacco avoidance, consumer safety and pharmaceutical / medical device regulation why did these and other healthcare authorities not pre-emptively evaluate and restrict at the onset e-cigarette and vaping products:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Food and Drug Administration
- National Institutes of Health
Mystery respiratory illness resulting in deaths…
CDC is investigating an outbreak of respiratory issues and deaths linked to vaping products. Michigan and New York banned flavored e-cigarette products. The Federal government is evaluating further regulatory action.
An estimated 1 out of 4 high school students has tried a vaping product. The e-cigarette industry has seriously setback decades of hard fought success by the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association and American Lung Association to dissuade youth as well as adult populations from smoking and to avoid tobacco products altogether.
An FDA probe is underway…
The FDA has launched a criminal probe into the e-cigarette and vaping industry as vaping-related illnesses rose to 530 cases spanning 38 states — in addition to several deaths attributed to the products. Additional enforcement agencies are being brought in including the DEA.
The e-cigarette and vaping industry is literally under siege. Federal and State authorities are scrutinizing it and potential lawsuits from them and consumers could be next. While healthcare concerns are paramount, numerous small retail stores have popped up around the nation in strip malls and other locations specializing in e-cigarettes and vaping products. Their financial position is precarious at this point as more health-related issues are attributed to the e-cigarette and vaping products they sell.
Thank you for reading this article. Check out my other stories about healthcare advancements, technology, digital marketing, social media strategy and my healthcare industry website:
A Healthcare Industry Resource for…
- healthcare marketing and digital marketing strategy
- business intelligence, investment community
- managed care, managed markets, market access
- sector-focused healthcare industry insights
- career development, job searches, academics
Connect with me at LinkedIn and Twitter…
I lead healthcare marketing initiatives in competitive sectors spanning pharmaceutical, medical device technology, clinical programs, health services, healthcare RPA ( robotic process automation ), software, SaaS and managed care. I am from a healthcare family ( 20+ credentialled medical professionals ) and have 20+ years experience in the healthcare industry advancing patient care and achieving commercial goals.
· Numerous medical specialties and sectors including hospital, health system, IDN, MTF, surgery center, LTC, dialysis, oncology, pharmacy ( retail, mail, compounding, specialty ), GPO, distributor, wholesaler, consumer / patient, employers, benefit consulting and payers ( MCO, BCBS, PBM, Medicaid, Medicare, DHA / TRICARE )
· Digital marketing, SEO, content development, email marketing, PPC, clinical/promotional print and digital collateral, brand management, product management, market research, segmentation, marketing / sales collaboration, corporate communications, budgeting, forecasting, vendor management, managed care, market access
· Healthcare programs, services, pharmaceuticals, medical device technology, wireless EHR connectivity, disposables, software, SaaS, RPA ( Robotic Process Automation )