NOVO NORDISK LAUNCHES NEW ORAL THERAPY FOR DIABETES CARE PATIENTS “RYBELSUS”
With diabetes as a growing healthcare issue around the globe, medical professionals benefit from having more advanced treatment options to prescribe their patients…
With the FDA’s approval, Novo Nordisk has announced they are launching a new oral therapy for diabetes care. Expectations are the new product named “Rybelsus” will generate over $5 billion in sales by 2026. Key competitors to the new pharmaceutical agent include Trulicity (an injectable) from Lilly and Januvia, an oral drug from Merck. Rybelsus is a once-daily glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonist and in a class of drugs used to treat diabetes since 2005; being a a therapy that is taken orally is a significant difference maker for patients that inject their diabetes medications.
Headquartered in Denmark, Novo ( NYSE: NVO ) is well established in the global diabetes care patient sector and with endocrinology medical professionals. If the product is positioned, priced and promoted with a sound market access strategy, Rybelsus should generate ample sales from MCO, PBM and other prescription benefit plans. Likewise, competitors such as Lilly and Merck will refine their marketing and sales strategies to protect their market share and sales revenue.
Diabetes is a global healthcare issue and having multiple options to treat the condition benefits patients and medical professionals. There may be more good news for them and Novo. Type 2 diabetes impacts over 28 million persons in the United States. The FDA is reviewing additional data from Novo for Rybelsus that could lead to another indication to reduce risk of major adverse cardiovascular events ( MACE ) including heart attack, stroke or cardiovascular death in adults with type 2 diabetes and established cardiovascular disease. The FDA may be able to make a decision on this additional indication by early 2020.
Thank you for reading this article. Check out my other stories about advances in patient care, technology, marketing and digital strategy plus my healthcare industry website:
A Healthcare Industry Resource for…
- healthcare marketing and digital marketing strategy
- business intelligence, investment community
- managed care, managed markets, market access
- sector-focused healthcare industry insights
- career development, job searches, academics
Connect with me at LinkedIn and Twitter…
I lead healthcare marketing initiatives in competitive sectors spanning pharmaceutical, medical device technology, clinical programs, health services, healthcare RPA ( robotic process automation ), software, SaaS and managed care. I am from a healthcare family ( 20+ credentialled medical professionals ) and have 20+ years experience in the healthcare industry advancing patient care and achieving commercial goals.
· Numerous medical specialties and sectors including hospital, health system, IDN, MTF, surgery center, LTC, dialysis, oncology, pharmacy ( retail, mail, compounding, specialty ), GPO, distributor, wholesaler, consumer / patient, employers, benefit consulting and payers ( MCO, BCBS, PBM, Medicaid, Medicare, DHA / TRICARE )
· Digital marketing, SEO, content development, email marketing, PPC, clinical/promotional print and digital collateral, brand management, product management, market research, segmentation, marketing / sales collaboration, corporate communications, budgeting, forecasting, vendor management, managed care, market access
· Healthcare programs, services, pharmaceuticals, medical device technology, wireless EHR connectivity, disposables, software, SaaS, RPA ( Robotic Process Automation )
Healthcare Medical Pharmaceutical Directory Google Business Hub