Running in spider web, Adidas Futurecraft
2016 was a year full of innovative ideas for Adidas, ideas in which design is approached in a technological, environmental and social way.
In terms of technology, to create the Futurecraft Biofabric, Adidas is partnering with Amsilk (a german biotechnology company) to generate high performance sports shoes created with Biosteel, a fiber that simulates silk but is actually sintetic spider web.
Some of the things that make Biosteel so special are:
- Extremely tough (can catch 380 tons)
- Extremely light weight (something constructed with Biosteel can be reducen in weight by up to 30%)
- Extremely skin-friendly (anti-allergen, highly breathable and perfect moisture management)
- Truly sustainable (biocompatible, vegan and 100% biodegradable)
Being a natural fiber, Biosteel is completely biodegradable, in addition to being lighter than synthetic fibers and this allows the athlete to achieve a better performance. The way in which Biosteel is made is also sustainable, Amsilk uses sustainable sources of energy in its production.
Nowadays there are many brands like Ecoology, Thinking Mu and Mandacarú who care for the process and raw material with which their clothes are made, they take care that their products to make those ecological and sustainable, there is even a website specialized in this type of clothing brands called Biobuu.com
Also, this kind of products can go be environmental and social innovation because it’s biodegradable, as already mentioned, and this generates a social change because it reduces the environmental impact, and encourages other brands and companies to follow this path of generating products that not only focus on increase performance, but also take environmental awareness and generate a large-scale change in society.
- massimo mini. (2016). Adidas teje seda de araña sintética en zapatillas deportivas biodegradables. 25/11/2016, de Designboom.com Sitio web: http://www.designboom.es/tecnologia/adidas-futurecraft-biodegradable-biosteel-tenis-11-25-2016/
- biobuu. (2013). Las 15 mejores tiendas online de ropa ecológica para hombre y mujer. 1/07/2013, de BIOBUU WORLD Sitio web: https://biobuu.wordpress.com/2013/07/01/la-10-mejores-tiendas-online-de-ropa-ecologica-para-hombre-y-mujer/
- dbhynds . (2016). Biosteel artificial spider silk fiber. June 1st, 2013, de Industrial Fabrics Association International Sitio web: http://www.ifai.com/2013/06/01/biosteel-artificial-spider-silk-fiber/