It’s been just over 2 years since our scrappy little startup was born. Reflecting on our journey, I can share a bit of advice with my fellow entrepreneurs…
- Do less, better.
- Delegation is bullshit. Empowerment needs to be the bar.
- The job of a leader is to make your team look great, not the other way around.
- Competition is for losers. Swim in your own lane. (h/t Peter Thiel)
- Humility with a commitment to excellence is the mark of a great company.
- Surround yourself with people who are better than you, give them ownership and get out of their way.
- Email sucks. Pick up the phone and talk to your customers. Ask questions, listen, learn, improve.
- Great service is not enough for predictable growth.
- Strong sales does not offset high churn.
- Every word matters. Devil’s advocate all copy.
- Deadlines are useless. A singular focus on a milestone is a lot more useful.
- Breakdown the silos between support, development and sales.
- You can, and should, choose your customers.
- Growth looks (and feels) a lot more like steps than a hockey stick.
- We are all making it up as we go along. (feels good to say that aloud)
A BIG THANK YOU to all of our clients, friends, followers, the Curaytor team and all the amazing entrepreneurs who have inspired us along the way and don’t even know it.