Homeowner Perspective in San Mateo Park
Update: This double lot home in San Mateo Park is now officially on the market. Again, special thanks to the homeowners, Kathleen and Greg, for sharing their personal perspective on the home and neighborhood. It is so helpful to hear about the home from the people who know it best. If you know someone who is currently selling their home, or thinking of selling their home, please send them our way. We would love to make this the new norm for every home that comes to market.
Hi PropertyWalk! We’re Kathleen and Greg, and we’re putting our home in San Mateo Park on the market. We bought this house approximately a year and a half ago and had every intention of making this our forever home. Life threw us a curve ball and instead, we’re moving to Seattle. While excited about what lies ahead, this is a tough property to let go of.
What first attracted YOU to this house?
Initially, it was the clean and modern curb appeal of the house, but once we walked through the gate and into the backyard — it was game over! Sold! A half acre of pure sunshine, a pool/jacuzzi, tennis court and more than enough space to host our family and friends. We love to host a good party!
Why have you decided to sell?
We’re moving to Seattle for work. The thought of leaving this property is difficult for not only us, but ALL of our family (mom and dad especially) and friends who have enjoyed spending time here!
What can you tell us about the history of your home?
This is a property where people naturally gravitate to when it’s time to gather. We bought our home from a sophisticated couple who were known for hosting tennis tournaments and painting parties in the backyard. The former Mrs. of the home was a contemporary artist. We have continued the tradition of hosting memorable parties for all to gather.
What investments have you made since you’ve owned the home?
With a desire to brighten up and refresh the spaces all around, we’ve done a lot of up-grades:
- Just before the close of escrow, the skylights over the dining room were all replaced (about $40k). These skylights are truly a special feature of the home. Dinner parties under the stars are a true conversation piece!
- Installed a new roof.
- Converted the artist’s loft into a sophisticated and sunny office retreat.
- Added drywall, paint and carpet to the adjacent loft space to create a bonus room.
- Converted the former office Into a fourth bedroom with the addition of a closet and removal of the office-specific built-ins.
- Up-graded several light fixtures throughout and added additional lighting both inside and out.
- Installed electrical to the wisteria covered pergola to create the perfect outdoor dining space! Outlet for both popcorn and margarita machine included!
- Painted entire interior of home to brighten and refresh.
- Added ceiling fans to bedrooms, dining room and family room.
- Installed custom made linen roman shades.
- Installed electrical outlets every 7 feet along tennis court lounge area to create yet another perfect entertaining space!
- Replaced old carpet with a wool berber carpet.
- As for the landscape, we made several edits/improvements to the front and back yard including, but not limited to, the addition of Japanese grasses, succulents, no mow grass, and various planted pots.
What have you enjoyed most about your home?
- The spacious floor plan allows for each of the rooms to be comfortably utilized while still retaining a sense of privacy.
- The outdoors has been a true source of entertainment!
- The office loft is my retreat. It has a large window with a view of the street and beautifully landscape homes below.
- The skylights over the dining room are one of a kind!
- The living room is sunny and cheerful. From the living room you have an expansive view of the patio, the pool, and the tennis court.
- The master bedroom is a very calming space. I love opening the sliding door and listening to the water fountain.
Are there any issues buyers should be aware of?
The kitchen is fully functional, however has not been recently updated. We had intentions of remodeling, but now that we’re moving, we’ll be leaving that to the next owners to design exactly as they want. There’s also the tennis shed that could be further remodeled as an outdoor kitchen, guest house or cabana — another item on our list that we’ll now leave for the next owners. We did install lighted ceiling fans, a new electrical panel, several interior outlets, and exterior lighting as well.
What’s it like to live in your neighborhood?
Simply put, San Mateo Park is special. The neighborhood has an eclectic array of architectural design and streets that are filled with mature trees, lush foliage and an abundance of flowers. There’s never a shortage of people walking their dogs (rain or shine) and kids riding their bikes or skateboards in the streets. The park has a true sense of community where neighbors still look out for one another.
One of the most special features of the home is the peace and quiet it offers, while, at the same time, having everything you need at your disposal. Burlingame Avenue is minutes away with shopping, restaurants (Stella Alpina and iPrive being two of our favorites) and everything in between. Stanford Mall and San Francisco are about 20 minutes away with San Francisco International airport about a 10 minutes drive from the house. The location of the park has been ideal for our family.
What can you tell us about the schools?
Our kids are older and never had a chance to use the local schools.
Anything else potential buyers should know?
Only that this is a rare find and that we want our home to go to someone who will love and enjoy it as much as we have.
“Homeowners’ Perspective” is a series where we interview the sellers to gain their unique perspective on their house, block, and neighborhood. By sharing their local knowledge and personal insights, these sellers help the PropertyWalk community gain a far better understanding of their home and the lifestyle that comes with it. If you have a home you’re selling and would like to help thousands of prospective buyers imagine living there, submit it here.
Comments & Questions
Have questions or comments about this property? Please use the comments section below or email us at email@example.com.
Originally published at www.propertywalk.com.