The Get Mentored Edition
If you’ve been successful, been promoted, raised funding — chances are you’ve had a mentor.
So how do you get a mentor? Be a great mentee. Know what you’re trying to achieve and the specific advice you need to reach your goals. Understand that a mentor is a sounding-board and guide, the additional fuel to your ambition. Focus on what you need to do to achieve your goals, and funny, you’ll likely find yourself surrounded by mentors.
Which brings me to #MentHERnyc — an invitation-only event on June 23 connecting the most promising early stage women-led companies with the most active investors/advisors in New York City. To request an invite and take your venture up a notch, find more information here.
Why you want to attend? Because you’ll get great advice (and we all know how it goes in the startup world…if you ask for money, you’ll get advice and if you ask for advice, you’ll get the connections and insights to take your venture to the next level).
Here are four more reasons why you should apply to be part of #MentHERnyc:
- Over 50 of the most active, helpful investors/advisors in the NYC area are contributing an hour of their time to mentor women — because diversity in the entrepreneurial ecosystem matters to them. Mentor and investor attendees are 60% women and include representatives from all the major angel groups (e.g. NY Angels, Golden Seeds, Pipeline Angels, 37 Angels, Empire Angels, Astia, and HBS Angels to name a few) and prominent VCs (including Lerer Hippeau, ff Venture, ENIAC, Time Warner, Bain Capital Ventures, BDMI, Box Group, BBG, Insight, Two Sigma, HearstLab).
- The 75 early stage women-led companies selected to attend will be getting advice and building relationships as they create advisory boards and prepare to fundraise. They will also be getting media guidance from the press; tips from role model entrepreneurs and guidance from leading investors.
- Plus, CNBC PowerPitch representatives will be on site to scout founders for the show who want to share their story nationwide.
- Attendees will also receive a Guide for Women Entrepreneurs which covers key areas (what should be in a pitch deck, tips for fundraising, angel pet peeves, best practices for Advisory Boards….) and Q&A (how much equity to you give advisors, what are other forms of fundraising beyond equity, how to get people comfortable with husband/wife teams, etc.)
And you have investor Alicia Syrett (Founder & CEO of Pantegrion Capital and Board Member of NY Angels), and Diana and Irene, founders of Monarq (the women behind #SheHacksNYC and female entrepreneur/investor dinners) for this #MentHERnyc brilliance.
The deadline for requesting an invite for #MentHERnyc is June 1. But don’t delay! Requests to attend are being considered on a rolling basis, so act on your ambitions, entrepreneurs, and increase your chance of receiving an invite.
Need more ways to get the mentoring your ambition needs? Here are my suggestions:
- Subscribe to BroadMic, and not because I’m the host. The guests I have the privilege of interviewing are brutally honest about what it takes to succeed (and I’m not the only one who should benefit from their incredible insights).
- Join the WE Festival community on Slack and get your questions ready for their industry experts at the weekly #SLACKOFF.
- Read Ginny Gilder’s book “Course Correction” and better yet, if you’re in NYC, attend the official launch party for the paperback edition on May 12th at BookCulture on the Upper West Side. 20% of proceeds from sales of the paperback release of Course Correction will benefit this year’s U.S. Olympic Women’s Rowing team.
- Attend the LMHQ Women’s Breakfast with BroadMic on May 12 — I’m interviewing creative entrepreneur extraordinaire, Tina Roth Eisnberg @swissmiss.
- Send me some feedback on this newsletter or any of the other content I pump out on Inc.com or the Turnstoneblog or #InnovatorInsights. What’s the burning question you need answered?
Don’t Forget! Mother’s Day is Sunday May 8.
Purchase any new bag from Ghurka’s new Women’s Collection between now and May 8, and you’ll receive a complimentary Aja or Tara wallet. Shopping online? Use code “FORMOM” when you add any Spring 2016 bag and your wallet choice to your shopping cart to redeem. And remember to get a gift for Mom while you’re at it.