Advice for Artists
Article was shared by Semil. I found it well timed. Below I summarize and annotate the content initially targeting artists in the LA music scene. The pointed advice from the author is equally relevant to startups called to be great. I’ve expanded upon his points with pronounced resonance this holiday season as we prepare our growing team to fulfill our purpose as Connect Financial in 2016 and beyond.
1. Try to be great. In a world of overwhelming incompetence, where everybody's vying for attention, we seek and glom on…lefsetz.com
- Try to be great. I hear people speak of a desire to have significance, to make a difference in a positive way. I feel the same. I want to work with people who feel the same. Connect Financial offers its team the opportunity to help reshape the dynamics of a fundamental element of our modern economy — housing. We owe it to ourselves and those we serve to pursue greatness.
- Beware of self-hype.
- Play the long game. I read a description recently of a 5 minute investment horizon, implying the shortest of shortermist views. On the contrary, I think of my personal investment horizon as 50 years. I hope to be active until the day I die. What is the investment horizon for Connect Financial? A perpetual investment horizon is only appropriate — yes, infinity.
- Lead with your product — art has a long arc. Our products and platform are uniquely non-competitive for the moment (i.e. a monopoly). With this advantage, we are investing further resources on product maturity in lieu of a rapid market launch. We will milk our “last-mover advantage” for all we can in the name of creating a better product to serve our stakeholders.
- Only the dumbest of the dumb believe the press releases — be genuine.
- Data rules. It’s all about the numbers.
- People have no time for mediocre, no time for good either. What you need is inspiration. We are leading a global movement to reshape the US housing economy. Natural housing stakeholders are incented to participate gaining advantages for both self and their community. The opportunity to create value and make a difference will inspire personal commitment and investment. We are all Connectors — are you a Connector?
- Courage is underrated. Our business model, a complex adaptive system, is audacious. We are confronting a large market with many competitive barriers. Our success will require courage not only from me, but also from our stakeholders and individuals called to participate in something new. Though the effort will surely be difficult, the future reward justifies our current sacrifice.
- You won’t know what your one big break was until after it happened.
- You can work with the usual suspects, but we’re most interested in that which is new and different, that’s what turns our heads.
- If you’re only in it for the money you’re in the wrong profession. Art is about power. Connect Financial will create enormous stakeholder value operating at scale by rebalancing US housing economics among its natural stakeholders— our efforts will have a measurable benefit for each of our three primary stakeholder groups: consumers/users, producers and investors. Connect Financial’s impact is connection.
- We’re always ready. For the new, the great, the exceptional.