Hot takes on Super Mario Run
- IT’S SO GOOD. Seriously. If you’re wondering if it’s worth the $10 In-App Purchase (IAP), it is. Buy now to avoid future regret.
- It looks and plays amazing. Buttery smooth animation, vibrant Mario art. Love it.
- Excellent learning curve. The game’s super-simple to get started, but it’s surprisingly deep, and in all the right ways (more on that later). Just look through the “Tips and Tricks” in the Notebook (under Menu)—there’s a ton of finesse here.
- I’m so glad that the game is sold as a one-time IAP vs. the freemium model. Rayman Adventures, one of my favorite iOS / tvOS platformers, would’ve benefitted immensely from this approach. With the one-time IAP (1xIAP for short?), all the little collecting / progression mechanics feel fun and challenging instead of frustrating and annoying. 🙌 🙌 🙌
- From an on-boarding perspective, it’s a little crappy doing all the account stuff first (and seriously, that country selection menu?), but once you get past that into the actual game tutorial, it’s a master-class.
- I’ll be very interested to see how frustrating the always-on network connection requirement is in real life. Could be terrible, but could also be better than expected.
- Not really sure what the kingdom-building thing is about, but it’s fun and seems mostly optional, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- On the other hand, Toad Rally is fantastic. I love love love the concept of playing for style, and the fact that you lose toads when you lose really adds a nice weight to each little game.
- Love the visually-themed touch area at the bottom of the screen. 👌
I think that’s it for now. What are you enjoying about the game?