Design for K12 Students, from 3.1 to 4.6+ rating in Play store
BYJUS is an award-winning iOS & Android app. It’s an Indian based Education Startup app. It helps the students to understand and master the concepts from high school foundation. It includes the portions of class 6–12 Math & Science and competitive exam preparations like JEE, AIPMT, CAT & IAS.
Ranjit Radhakrishnan — Chief Product Officer,
Kumar Gaurav — Lead UX design,
Satya Ranjan — UX designer,
Anil — Lead Product Manager,
Shobhit Mandloi — Android development,
Sreejesh — Lead Illustration team and lot more.
My Role UI designer
I joined BYJUS in Feb 2016 when it launched V1.0. We are a team of three people.
As an interaction and visual designer, I’ve been working on improving the end-to-end experience of the product and boosting active users by redesigning our app.
- Research and Insights
Our team uncovered the insights by interviewing targeted users, gathering their feedbacks and watching user behavior videos.
The interview helped to decipher our concepts into features that address the behaviors and motivations of the users.
I partnered with our project manager, Ranjith to prioritize and negotiate the features for upcoming versions. By understanding our business strategies, I worked with the whole team from ideation to implementation.
3. Design and Validation
I created mocks, style guides and, prototypes to drive with decision making.
“Our redesign raised the app rating from 2.9 to 4.7 in play-store in 8 months”
Our Design Journey
A. Understanding Business
- Stakeholder interview
2. Parents and School Interview
After 12 interviews and market research, we made our business strategy focusing only on video lessons. To represent our potential users who examined this learning system, I created three following personas.
“Help busy parents to find trusted and reliable Education platform for their kids”
3. Understanding users and their needs
My analysis states that we should ponder two types of families. I created the following layout representing who are those people and where those people are. It assists our team to understand better.
4. How we connect these people to make this system work
I created the following diagram to aid our team to follow the relationships. It explains how we connect some people and makes this system perform well.
B. Find problem
- Analyze Previous design
An agency had created the previous design which covers all essential information. It renders a sound infrastructure to redesign. I have conducted user research and crammed their feedback. I spotted that there were a couple of problems with business, product, and user experience perspectives.
2. Find the main Challenges
I have faced a pair of design challenges while building a new business model:
- How can I get people aware of all resources?
- How can I make people keep using it?
- How to increase the signup rate?
- How can I make a product, trusted and reliable for parents?
3. Scope of the Problem
- Students find it tricky to perceive all the resources they need. So we need to make the core experience very simple to use.
- As 86% of users drop during the signup process itself, how can we improve that?
1. Brainstorming ideas
Version 1: Giving more attention to videos
- Introduce scrollable card with videos.
- Clarify the user needs upfront.
- More helpful for people to discover videos quickly.
- Its not scalable for 1000 videos.
Version 2 : Categorize the videos and group lessons
- Introduce subject groups and lessons timeline.
- Integrated Text with videos.
- Helps user to navigate very quickly.
- There is no visual pattern.
- No rules followed.
Version 3.1 to 3.13
- Create a visual branding for the whole experience.
- Apply native design pattern.
- A beautiful, sleek, and delightful design.
- 40% of eye-catchy space for illustration.
- Create consistency and move fast.
- Launched this version quickly in 6 weeks.
We did field research to circumscribe the state and aspect of the Indian education to proffer the quality and emotional connection to the user.
- More understandable and educational.
- Everyone like the top 40% of the design. That’s a surprise for us.
- 77% users have completed the video lessons successfully.
- Play store rating started increasing.
Version 4 :
- Parents said that they were amenable to see the progress of their kids.
- 90% of users will get empty results in the beginning.
- 84% of 5k+ new users started watching more videos than expected.
- Only a few people got empty search result.
Collaboration with Development team
“12 Steps to reach the login Screen”
Version 1: Quick launch
- Removed all the unwanted screens.
- Moved the on-boarding option after signup.
- We conceived that there are no more confusions & frictions. But that was not true.
Though some issues sound silly, we have taken that into account.
- The signup button that is hidden under the keyboard lead to an immense drop in the signup process.
- Resetting the password is finicky.
Version 2: Show signup at top, High impact.
- Formed a tab like a view making visible to the user.
- One page signup.
- 3X signup conversion
Version 3 : Cover all edge cases
Although this version nailed the function, we thought to present much more reliable and functional design in all use cases.
- 96% error free signup flow.
Positive results and more things to do in the future
The redesign of BYJUS app on Android has made a very positive impact on our product. I worked with my team to iterate our product quickly and launched the most impactful version.
“Kids spend more than 45 mins on the app, which is more than the time, they spent on games and movies” —Byju Raveendran
- Weekly active Android users increased by 3X within two months
- Installations of the app increased by 22X since launching.
- 100000+ new accounts have been created with 89% completion rate.
- 90% of people developed their profile when compared with 50%.
- Became the best educational app in India
- We were selected in Editors Pick.
(Data until in April 26, 2017)