Design for K12 Students, from 3.1 to 4.6+ rating in Play store
BYJUS is an award-winning iOS & Android app. It’s an Indian based Education Startup app. It helps the students to understand and master the concepts from high school foundation. It includes the portions of class 6–12 Math & Science and competitive exam preparations like JEE, AIPMT, CAT & IAS.
Ranjit Radhakrishnan — Chief Product Officer,
Kumar Gaurav — Lead UX design,
Satya Ranjan — UX designer,
Anil — Lead Product Manager,
Shobhit Mandloi — Android development,
Sreejesh — Lead Illustration team and lot more.
My Role Lead Product designer
I joined BYJUS in Feb 2016 when it launched V1.0. We are a team of three people.
As an interaction and visual designer, I’ve been working on improving the end-to-end experience of the product and boosting active users by redesigning our app.
- Research and Insights
Our team uncovered the insights by interviewing targeted users, gathering their feedbacks and watching user behavior videos.
The interview helped to decipher our concepts into features that address the behaviors and motivations of the users.
I partnered with our project manager, Ranjith to prioritize and negotiate the features for upcoming versions. By understanding our business strategies, I worked with the whole team from ideation to implementation.
3. Design and Validation
I created mocks, style guides and, prototypes to drive with decision making.
“Our redesign raised the app rating from 2.9 to 4.7 in play-store in 8 months”
Our Design Journey
A. Understanding Business
- Stakeholder interview
2. Parents and School Interview
After 12 interviews and market research, we made our business strategy focusing only on video lessons. To represent our potential users who examined this learning system, I created three following personas.
“Help busy parents to find trusted and reliable Education platform for their kids”
3. Understanding users and their needs
My analysis states that we should ponder two types of families. I created the following layout representing who are those people and where those people are. It assists our team to understand better.
4. How we connect these people to make this system work
I created the following diagram to aid our team to follow the relationships. It explains how we connect some people and makes this system perform well.
B. Find problem
- Analyze Previous design
The previous design was created by an agency. It is covers all basic IA provides a good infrastructure to redesign. By conducting user research and learning from feedbacks, I found there were a couple of problems from business, product, and user experience perspectives.
2. Find the main Challenges
Building a new business model is challenging. There are a couple of design challenges I faced:
- How can I get people aware of all resources?
- How can I make people keep using it?
- How to increase the signup rate
- How can I create a trusted and reliable product for parents?
3. Scope the Problem
- Student Struggle to find all resources they need, So we need to make core experience very simple to use
- 86% Drop of user in the signup, How can we improve that
1. Brainstorming ideas
Version 1: Give more focus to videos
- Introduce scrollable card with videos
- Clarify the user needs upfront
- More helpful for people to discover videos quickly
- Its not scalable for 1000 videos
Version 2 : Categories videos and group lessons
- Introduce Subject groups and lessons timeline
- Integrated Text with videos
- Helps user to navigate very quickly
- There is no visual pattern
- Not followed any rules
Version 3.1 to 3.13
- Create a visual branding for the whole experience
- Apply native design pattern
- A beautiful, sleek, and delightful design
- Eye-catchy 40% space for illustration
- Create consistency and move fast
- Quickly launched this version in 6 weeks
We did field research to find our the mood and tone of the indian education to give the feel and emotional connection to the user.
- More understandable and educational
- Everyone like the top 40% — thats a suprise for us
- 77% users has been successfully completed the videos lessons
- Play store rating started increasing
Version 4 :
- Parents said they were willing to see the progress of their kids.
- 90% of users will get empty results in the beginning.
- 84% of 5k+ new users started watching more videos than expected
- Only a few people got empty search result
Collaboration with Development team
“12 Steps to reach the login Screen”
Version 1: Quick launch
- Cut off all the unwanted screens
- Moved the on-boarding after signup
- We thought, no more confusions & frictions, but this one failed
- It may sounds Silly, the signup button hidden under the keyboard lead to huge decrease in signup
- Reset password is a huge pain
Version 2: Show signup at top, High impact.
- Made like a tab view to make visible to user
- 1 page signup
- 3x signup conversion
Version 3 : Cover all edge cases
- Although this version nailed the function, we thought to make much more reliable and functional in all use cases
- 96% error free signup flow
Positive results and more things to do in the future
The redesign of BYJUS app on Android has made a very positive impact on our product. I worked with my team to iterate our product quickly and launch the most impactful version.
“Kids spend more 45 min on the app, which is more than time spent on games and movies” —Byju Raveendran
- Weekly active users Android increased by 3x within 2 months
- Installs increased by 22x since launching
- 100000+ new accounts been created, 89% completion rate
- 90% people completed profile compared with 50%
- Become a best educational app in india
- We selected in Editors Pick
(Data until in April 26, 2017)