Leave Facebook. Leave Twitter.
For a long time, keeping in touch with family, friends, and brands was worth the slime that poked out every now and then.
But this is a boiling frog situation. It is absolutely no longer worth it.
👎 Leave Facebook.
- Facebook is selling your browsing history.
- Facebook censors news for totalitarian governments.
- Facebook biases your feed to show things it thinks will keep you on Facebook.
- (Facebook is doing a lot of shady research on this.)
- Facebook engenders filter bubbles.
- Filter bubbles are undermining democracy.
- Facebook is creating obscenely detailed profiles of you and everyone you know (including folks not on Facebook).
- Facebook has swayed elections before…
- …and could easily do so again.
- Facebook will market your ad to any demographic you want them to (like, say, antisemites).
- Facebook might be too rich and powerful to regulate.
- Facebook has tools to stop hate speech, but they don’t work.
🍗 Leave Twitter.
- Twitter actually has tools to stop hate speech, and they work, but they just won’t use them anywhere but Germany.
- Twitter retroactively changed its Terms of Service to keep one of its most infamous members.
- Twitter attacks those that attack hate speech.
- Twitter knew for a while that it had a propaganda bot problem, but chose to do nothing.
- Anyway, it’s not in Twitter’s interest to solve their Nazi problem, because Nazis drive controversy, which drives engagement.
- So calling Twitter a white supremacist website isn’t really much of a stretch.
- Just… fuck Twitter.
These websites are too evil to justify staying. Share your baby pictures and plan your parties somewhere else. Even with the best spin you can put on them, these are still websites that manipulate what they show you just so they can advertise to you.
(Here’s a guide to Mastodon, where I’m personally trying to get folks to migrate.)
Choose a day and pledge to deleting your accounts on that day. (I’m going with December 31st.) Tell people why. Share this piece. Get them to come with you. Be obnoxious.
Do it today.