17 Places in India You Can Cover On a Shoe String Budget
Holidays in India do not have to be exorbitantly priced. There are numerous places in the country that are affordable, even if you are on a shoestring budget. So, pack those bags and hit the road; as long as you know where to go, getting to your destination will not be an ordeal. From quaint little villages to spiritual lands and vibrant green hills, India has everything for the traveller in you. What’s more? A trip to these holiday destinations is easy on your wallet.
1. Alleppey: If you are on the lookout for a place to laze over the weekend, Alleppey is the place to go. Known for its long lagoons, waterways and beautiful verdant countryside, this beach side destination tops the list of budget holiday destinations in India. Hop onto a houseboat and cruise through the lagoons sampling delicious coconut laced treats. House boat rates start at as low as INR 6,000 a day, and include all three meals.
2. Kasol: Kasol is yet another quick and cheap weekend getaway. It is one of the best places to visit in India. Food, picturesque sights, and a number of lovely options to stay, make it one of the most visited tourist destinations in the country.
3. Kodaikanal: Who said that a holiday in a hill station has to be expensive? Plan a trip to Kodaikanal and enjoy beautiful sunsets, fantastic views, hours of shopping and more at merely INR 300 a day. Yes, you can get a place to stay for just INR 200 and plenty of food to eat at another INR 100. Kodai can be reached by both train and bus. Be sure to visit Karuna Farms and sample the street food of Kodaikanal.
4. Goa: Cheap and dainty shacks and yes, a lot of sherry! That is what Goa has waiting for you. The land of beaches, fun, and good food, Goa is every backpacker’s favourite destination. You can have a whale of time in Goa, without having to burn a hole in your pocket.
5. Ooty: Chocolates and more chocolates. That is what Ooty is all about. Revel in nature’s beauty and explore destinations like Fernhill’s palace.
6. Pushkar: Pushkar may be the last place on your mind, when looking for holiday packages. But, trust us when we say you will love holidaying in this beautiful city. Pushkar has something for everyone. Kids can enjoy exciting camel rides, while adults can sip on the good ol’ bhang kalassi.
7. Varanasi: If you are in the mood for a spiritual disclosure, head straight to Varanasi. This is one of the most colourful and fascinating places you have ever been to, surprises abound around every bend and corner.
8. Gokarna: Gokarna is a melting point where fun and excitement meets economy. Hire a boat and spend a whole day cruising along the many beaches of the town. And, if you are in the mood for some adrenaline pumping activities, there is white water rafting, snorkelling and many other water activities to try out.
9. Darjeeling: There is nothing more mesmerizing than a trip from New Jalpaiguri to Darjeeling in a toy train. Surrounded by lush green plantations with the majestic Khangchendzonga towering behind, Darjeeling is a premium West Bengal tourist destination. When you aren’t gazing at the spectacular Khangchendzonga, you can pay a visit to the many Buddhist monasteries in town, or enjoy a day at the zoo spotting snow leopards and red pandas. And, when your energy levels begin to dip, grab a cup of steaming Darjeeling brew!
10. Dharmasala: Dharamasala is an ideal retreat for those who want to spend a few days in peace and tranquillity. Apart from breathtaking views of the valleys and mountain ranges, you can also enjoy a session of paragliding. A room a day will cost you as little as INR 200.
11. Spiti: Also known as Little Tibet, Spiti is a beautiful valley nestled away from the chaos of the city in the lap of the Himalayan Mountain range. Apart from natural beauty here, you can also enjoy morning treks and jeep safaris through enchanting landscapes. Book your accommodation in a private guest house or one the many home stays that offer sumptuous meals and a cosy bed.
12. Meghalaya: Meghalaya is just the place to head out to, if you love nature. Shillong has some of the most beautiful and mesmerizing waterfalls, and tall impressive mountains. Let us not forget the crystal clear lakes the city is famous for. At a mere INR 250 you can find yourself a decent bed and breakfast in this spellbinding holiday destination.
13. Hampi: No bucket list is complete without a trip to Hampi. A famous UNESCO World Heritage Site, Hampi is known for its many temples, palace ruins, and royal buildings. You can also hop onto a moped ride around the city and visit attractions such as Lotus Mahal, and Lakshmi Narasimha Temple built in the Vijayanagar architectural style.
14. Jaisalmer: Jaisalmer also known as the golden city of India, is rightly called so! Bewitching palaces, magnificent havelis, and the most beautiful sand dunes are just a few of the many attractions you can visit on a trip to this popular holiday destination.
15. Sikkim: Sikkim is hands down one of the most beautiful states in India. Nothing beats its scenic views, sumptuous local cuisine and wonderful climate. If you are an early riser, be sure to set out on an early morning trek to view the sunrise.
16. Lonavala: Who hasn’t heard of Lonavala? A quick getaway from Mumbai, Lonavala offers plentiful options to choose from. Explore the many forts of Lonavala, or set out on an exciting hike. Treat yourself to some delicious chocolate fudge and pack some chikki back home. All in all, Lonavala is an ideal retreat for a calm and peaceful weekend in the lap of Mother Nature.
17. Munnar: Munnar needs no introduction! The city is dotted with tea plantations and is breathtakingly beautiful. An idyllic tourist destination, Munnar offers more than just pristine valleys and unending expanses of tea gardens. There are a number of wild life sanctuaries and lakes among other popular tourist attractions.
Do more than just dreaming. There are places to visit in India that allow you to explore caves, trek through picturesque mountains or simply lose yourself in the forests without worrying about squandering your bank balance! With the right kind of planning, you can have the best holidays in India, without spending a fortune; and Musafir.com is just the partner you need to help you get access to budget-friendly holiday packages.