North Wales Crusaders managed to bring home two points from their League One encounter against Newcastle Thunder, thanks to a late try from Mason Caton Brown.

The Crusaders had taken a 12 point lead. With Ryan Smith grabbing both tries, thanks to breaks from Josh Wood and Earl Hurst respectively.

With just minutes of the first half remaining Thunder opened their account. Joe Brown crossed in the corner after Newcastle made use of a sloppy kick from the visitors.

Earl Hurst got the second half scoring underway as he sent the Newcastle defence the wrong way and grounded in the corner.

Newcastle then hit back. First, Evan Simons crossed the line followed by Vincent Rennie. Before Newcastle managed to take the lead for the first time after a try from Josh Kittrick, which Benn Hardcastle converted and edged the hosts into a two point lead.

The Crusaders won the game with four minutes to go, as Mason Caton Brown sealed the victory after running through the Thunder defence to score.

The first ten minutes had produced no score, however, the home side tested the Crusaders’ with a number of sets near the line.

The Good defence from the visitors paid dividends, and with 13 minutes gone a fantastic break from Josh Wood set up Ryan Smith to finish off the nice move and open the scoring. Tommy Johnson converted and put the visitors six points up.

With just under 20 minutes played, Newcastle’s Dan Parker looked to be over, only to spill the ball before he could ground it.

After a period of play that saw both sides fail to make use of good positions, the Crusaders managed to double their lead. This time it was Earl Hurst who broke away, to provide Ryan Smith with a fantastic opportunity to cross for his second of the afternoon. Johnson was again successful with the conversion to double the lead.

There were two minutes left on the clock when Newcastle scored their first of the afternoon. They made use of a sloppy kick from the Crusaders and Joe Brown found space out wide to fly over.

Having previously assisted Ryan Smith, Earl Hurst found the line himself to open the second half scoring. Johnson once again converted to extend the lead for the visitors.

Newcastle responded minutes later, Evan Simons crossed the whitewash allowing Hardcastle to reduce the Crusaders’ lead to eight points, following the conversion. Newcastle were then in again, this time Vincent Rennie barged his way over on the last tackle. However, the conversion was missed and Thunder trailed by four.

It didn’t take long before the home side took the lead for the first time in the game, Josh Kittrick scored under the posts making the conversion easy for Benn Hardcastle who scored and give the hosts the lead.

With four minutes remaining, Mason Caton Brown ran through the Thunder defence to score and Johnson converted to seal the victory by four points.

Like what you read? Give Josh a round of applause.

From a quick cheer to a standing ovation, clap to show how much you enjoyed this story.