Node.Js Vs Ruby on Rails
Node.js and Ruby on Rails are two most popular server side technologies existing in tech arena. Let me start with the definition.
Node.js and Ruby are both for the back-end server side. However, we are not arguing which one is better than the other one. This article is more about analyzing what are the advantages and disadvantages of both to help you analyze and take better decision for yourself. It’s more about choosing one over the other based on your current need & comfort.
Pro’s Of Ruby on Rails :
1. High Quality & Bug Free Apps : Ruby on Rails has so many pre-set build-in function that help developers develop a very high quality app which is close to being 100% bug-free. Ruby on Rails technology has stakes in bug-free products and have their own testing tool called Minitest.
2. Database Migration : Ruby on Rails is quite flexible & database migration friendly. It can be easily ported to other platforms.
3. Big notch companies are using Rails to build their product technology Stack as shown below, It shows the love & acceptance it has got from some of the biggest technology giants.
Con’s of Ruby on Rails
1. Boot Speed: One of the most reported issue about Rail is that it takes a lot of time to load due to its heavy framework structure & loads of gems library which one needs to have to code
2. Runtime Speed : another most talked about issue with ROR has been its runtime speed. It has been reported & tested to be slow as compared NodeJS or GoLang. Twitter which has been using Rail for may be planning to adopt NodeJs lately.
NodeJS Pro’s :
1. Lightweight & Fast To boot : NodeJs is quite lightweight as compared to Rails so you will experience speedy file loading while using it.
3. Great For App Using Data Streaming : Node.js can be really handy for developers who wants to build an app using real time data streaming like Youtube Video Streaming app because both HTTP queries and responses are perceived as isolated events but, in fact, they are actually streaming data. Data streaming with Node.js really looks better.
4. It is also popular in large companies: below big shot companies are using NodeJs:
NodeJs Con’s :
1. Inconsistent : One of the major drawback of Node.js is that it is highly inconsistent as far as it’s API is concerned it keeps on frequently changing making it sometime not so stable to use. It may improve as it goes more old with time.
2. Not Good For CPU intensive App : Node.js can lead to serious performance issue if an app requires to perform Image processing or heavy graphics rendering job which requires multiple CPU to function. Because of it’s single threaded processing mechanism of handling events it can’t cater to the large resource demand which can suddenly shoot up against this heavy lifting task. Multithreaded platform like Rails fairs better in this scenario
This is not an only completed comparison between Node.js and Ruby on Rails, as it is hard to do that in a single article. Remember, you will be choosing one over the other based on your current need & comfort, as each of them has their own advantages and disadvantages.