An Idea: Amazon Boxes and Philanthropy in Your Local Community
At our house we LOVE Amazon!
We order from Amazon every week (at minimum.) From groceries to kids birthday gifts to bike parts to ski jackets, Amazon is almost always our first stop when shopping online. As a result, every week we have a lot of boxes, grocery bags and cold packs. I have an idea about what to do with all of this packaging that could benefit local communities. This is in response to Mr. Jeff Bezos’ tweet on June 15, 2017
To be fair, Amazon currently has a program in place for reusing boxes called “Give your Box a New Life.” And this is a great idea. But… we have way more boxes than opportunities to fill them with donations each week.
So here’s my idea.
Every two weeks our recycling gets picked up. But in order to have all of those boxes fit into our recycle bin we have to break them down. And then those go to the recycling center. Every second Thursday evening before our trash and recycle pick up on Friday I find myself with scissors breaking box tape to create a stack of flat boxes, hoping they will all fit this week. And I wonder to myself, why can’t these go right back to Amazon built up? After all, we have deliveries sometimes every day. If the Amazon drivers would pick up these built up boxes when they make a new delivery they’d 1. save me this hassle; 2. help avoid the cycle to the bins and where they go after 3. require fewer new boxes to be used, AND 4. possibly save Amazon money. Then that money can go back into the community right away. And into a hyper local community like food shelters that fall within the boundary of my neighborhood. It seems like a win-win all around.
So here’s what I’d like to ask Mr. Bezos and Amazon to consider doing:
- When Amazon items are delivered please pick up our empty Amazon boxes, grocery bags and ice packs that are in reusable condition.
- Please take them to your distribution centers.
- Please reuse them for other Amazon deliveries.
- Please calculate how much is saved per box or bag.
- Please take that amount and add it to local communities funds based on delivery zip codes.
- With these funds please provide meals for the homeless in local community centers.
- And please distribute donations from Amazon grocery partners with these reused boxes, grocery bags and cold packs. And then bring them back to distribution centers again. Reuse and reuse until the packaging is no longer sufficient.
- And please do this often!
I’m a huge fan of Amazon because it is a smart, innovative and dedicated company to serving the world. Supporting and serving my closest local communities brings Amazon closer to my heart.
@JeffBezos, what do you think?