1. True wisdom and insight is always free.
2. Give your power over to no one.
3. Going into the unknown is how you expand what is known.
4. Get a library card.
5. Spend more time around people that both challenge and respect you.
6. Remain skeptical forever.
7. Fight for what matters.
8. There is a method that works. Find it.
9. Join a movement.
10. Drink your coffee black.
11. Never let anyone photoshop a picture of you. It creates a false sense of self-confidence.
12. Read more. Especially things you disagree with.
13. Get used to feeling stupid. It’s a sign of growth.
14. It’s easy for people to talk a good game, so watch how they behave instead.
15. Learn something from everyone.
16. Find things that inspire you and pursue them, even if there’s no money in it.
17. Starve if you have to, for as long as you need to.
18. Survive on a little just to prove you can do it.
19. Get one big success at an early age. It’ll help build your confidence for bigger things.
20. Do what you say you’ll do. No one is reliable anymore.
21. Be comfortable with abandonment, even of parts of your identity.
22. Learn a new language.
23. Eat more protein.
24. Keep people around you that will tell you the truth.
25. Genius gets you nowhere. Execution is everything.
26. If given the choice of equity or cash, almost always take cash.
27. Meet new people as often as possible. Offer to help them.
28. Don’t discriminate. Connect anyone in your network to anyone else.
29. If you can’t do a pull-up, you have a problem.
30. Nobody likes a know-it-all.
31. Get a passport. Fill it up with stamps no one has ever seen.
33. Read biographies. It’s like having access to the best mentors in history.
34. Go to bed, and wake up, early. No one will bother you, letting your best work emerge.
35. Scare yourself a little bit every day. It will expand your inner map.
36. Learn to climb trees.
37. Don’t buy a lot of stuff, and only buy the stuff you really love.
38. Be humble and curious.
39. Twitter followers don’t keep you warm at night.
40. Be as useful as you can in as many circumstances as possible.
41. Show up.
42. Repeat people’s names when you meet them.
43. Turn internet access off your phone. Wifi is fine.
44. Get a deck of Oblique Strategies cards. Use them.
45. Make your home a place where you feel safe.
46. Take people up on bets. Make more bets yourself.
47. Take cold showers. They’re better than coffee.
48. Learn to enjoy hunger.
49. Make everything either shorter, or longer, than it needs to be.
50. Always remember those who helped you. Deliver two or three times as much value back.
51. But also, help people who have never helped you, and can’t.
52. When you know that pain is temporary, it affects all of your decisions.
53. Get a tattoo. Don’t worry about regret.
54. Commit to things, regularly, that are far beyond your ability.
55. Meet with friends more often than you think you have to.
56. Learn to meditate. Go on a retreat if you have to.
57. Your stories are both more and less interesting than you think.
58. Learn to really listen.
59. Walk more.
60. Ugly is just a step on the way to beautiful.
61. Get to know your neighbours.
62. Don’t take anything personally, ever.
63. Consider avoiding school. Go to lots of conferences instead.
64. As soon as you can, buy some art.
65. Apologize more than you need to.
66. Find out if there will be food there.
67. A good haircut changes everything.
68. Read Man’s Search For Meaning.
69. Say no to projects you don’t care about.
70. Do things that are uncool. Later on, they usually end up becoming cool anyway.
71. Find your voice.
72. Have some manners.
73. Learn to play chess, go, and bridge. They’ll keep you from going senile.
74. Learn about the Tetrapharmakos.
75. Find ways to cheat the system– just don’t cheat people.
76. Be like Jesus, not like his followers. (This applies to all of them.)
77. At least once, date someone that’s out of your league.
78. Examine your jealousy. You’ll learn a lot about yourself.
79. Good connections are about people, not social networks.
80. Address small problems. They will become big problems.
81. Dress like a cooler version of yourself.
82. Yes, there is such a thing as bad press.
83. Add “adventurer” to your Twitter bio. Then, become one.
84. If the internet is the best thing in your life, you have a serious problem.
86. Find mentors. Just don’t call them that.
87. Actually write on your blog. Nobody cares if it’s hard.
88. Download Freedom. Use it for an hour every day.
89. Join a gym. Lift the heaviest you can. (This applies to girls too.)
90. Do some freewriting. It helps you think things through.
91. When you’re having supper with rich people, pick up the cheque.
92. Learn how to speak in public.
93. If you see someone who needs help, stop asking yourself if they need help. Instead, just help.
94. Bring a bottle of wine.
95. The best conversations are had side by side, not one in front of the other.
96. Protect your hearing. Trust me.
97. Do what’s most important first thing in the morning, before you check email.
98. Everyone feels like they’re not good enough. It’s not just you.
99. Courage is a learned skill.