A Tale of Two Tax Homes
Romie Stott

Hi Romie! Great article and congratulations for figuring it all out. I wanted to get your thoughts: I live in Mexico, freelancing for a US company that pays me in a US bank account. Mexico taxes you on worldwide income and I will also be earning in pesos — but my question is about my state residency. I established residency in DC until 2013, after which I moved to Mexico. I returned to the US, to Massachusetts (where I grew up and have always had a driver’s license) in 2015. I acquired state health insurance. In 2015 I also worked part of the year in DC. In 2016 I moved back to Mexico…I still have Massachusetts state health insurance but am now freelancing for a DC-based company that uses my DC address. Any thoughts on how I should determine where to pay resident taxes? The bad thing is that Massachusetts doesn’t allow you to exclude foreign income…


One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.