A Brief Intro and Backstory of My Depression

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, depression is defined 1 as:

: a state of feeling sad

: a serious medical condition in which a person feels very sad, hopeless, and unimportant and often is unable to live in a normal way

Depression is nothing new. According to the National Institute of Mental Health depression affects 6.7% of the American population. That equates to 21.4 million people in the United States dealing with depression this year alone.

I am one of those 21 million.

I have been living with depression for over thirty years. If I had to take a guess I would say that 60% of that time I’ve been actively depressed, the other 40% I could define as happy. Does that mean that for 60% of the time I’ve been unhappy? Yes. And, no. Depression has a way of making you feel unhappy, even when you have all of those things that make you happy.

I know, depression makes no sense, does it?

Here, I am trying an experiment on myself. I am going to record how I feel and what I’m thinking to use as a tool to keep my depression at bay. I’m not sure how this will go, or where for that matter.

If you are reading this and feeling depressed I urge you to find some help. Talk to your doctor. Talk to your family. Talk to a friend. Call a Help line. Just do something. Please, don’t let it get worse.

— Jill

1 Depression [Def. 1 and 2]. (n.d.) Merriam-Website Online. In Merriam-Webster. Retrieved November 12, 2015, from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/depression.

One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.