The internet has changed the way we communicate today. You can share any of your messages through social media, online discussion groups, blogging and etc.. Over 2 billion people have access to the internet and some popular websites like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and many more websites allow people to freely express their message online. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, and if you want to be professional about it, then you need to practice good netiquette. Netiquette is described as net etiquette which defines how people behave on the internet. Practices of good netiquette means that you should respect other users on the internet by showing them common courtesy when you are posting your messages on the internet. There are rules of netiquette and these rules are to protect your digital reputation. In order to keep a good reputation online, there are some basic rules of netiquette that you can practice.
Rules of Netiquette:
1. Treat people how you want to be treated - That means stay polite and do not insult other people online. Respect other people like how you would like them to respect you.
2. Respect other people’s bandwidth - This means you shouldn’t spam the same messages (advertisements) online since people have limited bandwidth and time.
3. Write clearly and know where you are - This means you should use proper grammar and format. Remember that your posts can be viewed by a certain audience such as your co-workers, parents, friends, and employers.
4. Do not steal -There are many copyrighted material online that you do not own and you should not try to steal the material because it is not yours. If you want to borrow some information, make sure you cite where you got it from to avoid plagiarism.
5. Respect the owner -Each site has their own rules that you should follow and they have the final say in what is allowed and what is not allowed on their website.
By following some of these rules, you are already showing that you have good netiquette. Just remember that everyone has their own digital reputation and you want to make sure you leave a good impression to others.