Back in November of 2019 I was hired on to be the first in-house UX Designer for a startup called Videra Health. I had recently received a design certificate from DevMountain that summer and was eager to test my skills and share my ideas with the world.
And yes, my skills certainly were tested.
First off, Videra Health’s goal is to allow for asynchronous communication between various types of patients and their medical providers, usually as a tool post-discharge from a given recovery center. My overall task would be to design experiences and flows for both patients and providers both in web and mobile environments.
One of the first things I designed was an updated dashboard to help providers know at a glance what activity is happening in their account.
I started off with a couple questions:
- What information do providers want to see?
- How can we show what activity patients have done in their assigned programs?
After a couple weeks of discussing the requirements and studying the current designs that had been used up to this point, I took my notes and iterated a few different variations for a dashboard:
In the end, I decided to remove the dashboard information away from the the “Patients Tab” to a “Home Tab”, with more account level information. The “Patients Tab” was already focused on patients and their overall progress.
What I learned
From my first project at Videra Health I learned a few things:
- Especially when I’m trying to work quickly, it is best to not go straight to high fidelity mock ups. I ended up spending a lot of time there before landing on a design.
- User research is key. Later, we learned we didn’t show the most useful metrics in the most clear way. Some initial feedback would have helped us avoid redesigning over a year later.
Redesigning the Program Builder
One of the core features of our platform was to allow the Provider the ability to create their own programs for their patients. Jumping off from the previous project, I whiteboarded out a few user flows and general layouts.
While not every feature from this flow was implemented, I did create a flow that helped improve several aspects of the program creation:
What I learned:
- While I did plan out the flow and ideate new ways to build a program, feedback was still mixed on how useful each feature was. I still needed more user input.
After doing a few projects this way, I realized that I needed a better understanding of the product. I stepped back and created a Flow Chart based on my current understanding:
I also created a broader flow of what the Provider’s experience would look like:
This also included looking at the Patient’s onboarding flow:
While I was more organized about the choices I made, I struggled to keep up with the new features and needs of the start up. But through this trial by fire, I gained some invaluable skills:
- Design system development. The original system had accessibility issues (poor color contrast and font sized) and inconsistent styling. I reworked the colors, the typographical and button hierarchies, and more into a more complete and clear system.
- In-company collaboration. I learned how to better work with developers, QA engineers, and how to present my designs to stakeholders.
Even without official support, user feedback is critical. Our product launched over a year ago and while users could navigate the basic functionality there were issues that could have been avoided earlier on. That said, we did listen to feedback when we received it and implemented designs which better met users needs and improved their experiences.