99 + 9 Amazing IKEA Hacks for Your Home
Everyday, I’m amazed by the creativity and sheer ability of the DIY and upcycle community. I’ve seen people transform old, aging furniture — what you might call “fixers”—into refreshed, stylish reincarnations that any household would envy!
First, here are a few of my favorite places to find great starter furniture as well as decor that has already been rehabbed and made into things that make you go, “wow!” You’re sure to find IKEA and other brands of furniture that is ripe for the picking! (Some tips on shopping like a pro…)
Resources for finding stylish second hand & vintage furniture, and places where you can start your junkin’:
- Trove Market (unabashedly, of course!)
- Alameda Point Antiques Faire (1st Sunday of every month, SF Bay Area)
- Treasure Island Flea (last weekend of every month, SF Bay Area)
- Round Top Antique Week (twice yearly in spring and fall, Texas)
- Instagram (hashtags #junkin #reupholstered #upcycle #beforeandafter)
Despite it’s reputation, IKEA is a very popular source for “bones” when it comes to upcycling and creating amazing custom furniture!
Given the popularity of IKEA as a base/bones for DIY and upcycling projects, and the vast number of web sites showing how you can turn cheap IKEA particle board into gold (Midas Touch not required!), I’ve pulled 99+ IKEA Hacks into this list!
(Note: if you’re unable to find a particular IKEA model that’s referenced, you can likely Google an alternative solution to arrive at the same results!)
Without further ado, let’s see how creative people can get…!
99 Amazing IKEA Hacks
And… as a BONUS (because I had one extra example)! ;)
Now that you’ve gotten your fill of specific examples, here are 9 resources where you can find the above tips and other ideas for taking your IKEA furniture to the next level!
- IKEA Hackers
- PANYL makes flexible, self-adhesive vinyl film that is pre-cut to the dimensions of specific IKEA furniture models. What an amazingly simple way to give your standard IKEA furniture a beautiful look!
- Mommo Design has done a nice job of curating the cutest, most functional IKEA hacks for kids rooms.
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks by Bob Vila
- 30 Genius IKEA BILLY Hacks for Your Inspiration by Idea Stand
- 33 IKEA Hacks for Smarter Exploitation of Furniture by Homesthetics
- 60+ Crafty Ikea Hacks To Save Time & Money by Cute DIY Projects
- 31 Brilliant Ikea Hacks Every Parent Should Know by BuzzFeed
- 101 Epic IKEA Hacks by Momtastic
As much as folks love to loathe IKEA for it’s wobbling tables and peeling veneers, we can’t seem to get enough of them! The cheap furniture, inexpensive decor, and wide variety of items you can buy on the cheap, keep us coming back for more time and time again.
If you’ve got an IKEA Hack that’s not listed above, I’d love to hear about it! Either leave me a comment or @ mention me in a post!